Home General Discussion

When do you guys change software?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone!

I am just curious how much greener the grass should be on the other side, before you end up deciding to go there?

With so many new software packages coming all the time, that does something slightly better than what you are used to, I find myself trying to constantly change my workflow to what is considered to be the "best" at the moment. I seem to spend much more time trying to learn new tools and workflows, than actually creating something.

Recently it happened when MODO got released. I am a max user, so I dont know if MODO is really THAT much better, but I am still curious as hell, and afraid to be missing out on something that could improve my speed down the line.

How do you guys tackle stuff like this? Are anyone else as curious as I am, when it comes to new stuff?

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Download a demo version, try it out. Sounds obvious but it's more productive than wondering and fretting about if you'll like it or not -- find out. :)

I'm a generally curious guy so I'll almost always look at new software as it appears. That's how I came to find Modo in the first place and other great apps, like Rhino for NURBS modeling.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    And that is what I have been doing so far :)
    But take MODO for example. I have used maya and max for years. If I should be able to judge if MODO would be worth "converting" to, it would take me at least a month, as I have never opened it before, and dont know a single thing about the program.

So I would spend a month trying out the software, rather than creating something.
    But that is how you do and recommend? :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I remember reading about an artist that reviews, self critiques, and tries new workflows out once a year to make sure they are being smart and efficient.

I've always just tried new software as it comes out and make sure I ask myself if there's a faster or smarter way I should be working.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also get a lot of value out of watching tutorials for an app that I'm interested in before going to bed. One or two videos a night and you can quickly get a sense for how an app works before you ever open it. That way you're not devoting your every waking hour trying to figure out how to do things ... you come in with an established base of knowledge.

It's not even about hot keys or functionality. Sometimes just having a general idea of where to find things helps out a lot. You remember a lot more from tutorials than you think you do.
  • rls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rls polycounter lvl 3
    3dsmax users for years, I tried blender during a contest (best moment to test
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I also get a lot of value out of watching tutorials for an app that I'm interested in before going to bed. One or two videos a night and you can quickly get a sense for how an app works before you ever open it. That way you're not devoting your every waking hour trying to figure out how to do things ... you come in with an established base of knowledge.

It's not even about hot keys or functionality. Sometimes just having a general idea of where to find things helps out a lot. You remember a lot more from tutorials than you think you do.

Seconding this. I watched a bunch of videos of Substance Designer from Allegorithmic because I was curious about the power of the software before trying it. Totally worth it.
  • Elynole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the development world, it's generally accepted and often advised for senior programmers to learn one new programming language a year. I'll probably take this same approach with CG - while still being extremely new to it - learning a sections of a program or adding one program to my workflow each year should definitely be doable
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    usually for me it comes of some source of frustration at some point in a workflow "this is so stupid, whoever designed this is a idiot! there must be a better way of doing it out there" (I know they aren't really this is just what I think at the time)

then I start searching around for its rival software, tend to learn and love that,I more than not return to the original frustration software and feel less frustrated with it, its a odd process.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Familiarity generates a lot of friction. Going back to what you know more often than not, whether it's worse or not, is not that surprising.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I still use Softimage XSI 6.2 which came out years ago. I've added new programs to my list like 3dcoat, zbrush, xnormal, and ndo. But for straight up modeling that old copy of XSI does everything I need and I'm faster with it than other newer packages.
  • Bridget
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep telling myself I don't need the latest Modo update, but ... I'm weak. So very weak.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'd say its important to explore new software, but don't explore to the point where it stops you from actually creating anything. The best way to learn other than watching and following tutorials in my opinion, is to just jump in and attempt a project.

If you're unsure about a modeling package for example, grab the demo and tell yourself that you will finish making an asset or two with it. You'll learn more about it quickly, it will be more enjoyable that reading pages and pages of reviews from people who may not think or work the same way as you, and you'll still be creating content.

If you're unsure about a tool that will help you make textures, like dDo for example, then grab the tool and try to texture something you've already modeled and unwrapped. Again, you'll have more fun, you'll still learn about the software, and you will also be creating.

It's also important to question the need for a new piece of software. While there are many choices of software, you should ask yourself "Does this project I'm working on actually require me to change software?"

Personally, I'm a Max user and while Modo looks incredibly appealing to me, a majority of my projects won't really benefit much from the change.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for tuning in, all of you. Was great to hear how you approach this ! :)

The 1 year rule is actually kinda cool. Its 353 days since I opened unreal for the first time, so I guess I will try MODO on a simple project, now :)
    At least, trying out something once a year is a nice rule of thumb.

Again, thanks, everyone!
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    I've been a max user since 2006, using an educational version that I bought while finishing college, over the years i've used several trials of later version of max, then for the last 3 years, used the educational version of max 2012.

Now i find myself needing to switch software, from a price standpoint, blender would be the obvious choice, with Maya LT and Modo in second and third place respectively, but in a usability/practicality point of view, at least for me, Maya LT would be the better choice, with Blender as an absolute LAST resort, as i find Blender very difficult to use, the few times i've tried it over the years, i've struggled with it.

The only thing stopping me from using Maya LT is the lack of a basic renderer (I'd be happy with scanline), and lack of Zbrush GoZ integration, though i would be more comfortable in Max, there's no way in hell i can afford the single seat license, i don't want to use the educational version as i can't release anything i make (not even for free), and i will never touch the rental plans.

Though I got Zbrush last year for my birthday, I've been trying to learn that (it's slow going.)

And I have tried several demos of C4D and modo over the years, but they either expired just as i was getting used to them, or in the case of the C4D trial, the "Save" option was disabled, which pretty much made it useless.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well depends, when it comes to Autodesk and Windows I tend to update as late as possible, only when I'm forced to because frankly their newer versions are always buggy as shit for years, or just straight up broken in some aspects. Especially when you try to use their newest versions together... :D

Otherwise I'm always interested in new workflows, although it depends on whether its productive enough to actually integrate into the pipeline or not when considering adopting it in a work env. Even if I use it in personal projects.
  • Valerien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me, it's not a matter of switching a software, but rather revamping the whole workflow to put things in perspective again. It's about trying to get not only more efficient, but to maintain one's ability to adapt, learn alone, and embrace innovative change.
    It's certainly a balancing act. I personally do it at the start of a project or a set of projects : recently starting my freelance career, I took some time to get into Krita, Inkscape, Unity, Nodebox, and a lot of "LifeHack" kind of things. I gave loads of [free/open source] tools a trial, but it's ending up feeling well worth it.

It generally won't take more than a handful of minutes or hours to get a nice overview of a new tool's philosophy. Thus the benefits can appear quite clearly rather fast.