Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Telltale Inspired Apartment Scene

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
atomander polycounter lvl 7
Hey folks, I recently played through Telltale's "Wolf Among Us," and was floored by its wonderful environment art. I wanted to try to tackle something in a similar vein, and came up with this apartment vignette. I'm using diffuse maps and a couple glow maps for the whole thing. Please share with me your feedback and critiques! (To me, the lighting still needs a bit of work. This was my first foray into setting up a scene in Marmoset).

ixfQoQg.jpg

ORQJ4xH.jpg

PzjhMXS.jpg

DbBrWyI.jpg

Replies

• Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Really good start so far!
    The only real feedback I have so far is that everything looks too clean. And I don't mean you need to grunge it up, but if you look at a screenshot from the game; http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/10/the-wolf-among-us-review-610x343.jpg
    You'll see that there's more shadows/gradients along the textures, breaking them up a bit. (In the back corner on the floor, or on the lower parts of the wood panels on the wall, etc.)

Keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Marshkin! After re-examining a lot of those shots, it does seem like they paint a lot of the lighting detail straight into the diffuse. I'll try to go back and bump the contrast between the elements a bit more.

Trying out sketchfab as well, if anyone wants to take a closer peak.

[SKETCHFAB]39551186fce54c2e9fe68e6d9832833a[/SKETCHFAB]
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, trying to push this scene a bit more. I took Marshkin's advice and tried to add more noticeable value shifts in some of the big textures like the walls and the floor, and reworked the lighting a bit. Also added a couple of new props to try to create a stronger focus in the middle of the scene. Any advice is really welcome!

uwv9O8a.jpg

H1NioV3.jpg

0wjI8Ei.jpg
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Really cool style in that!

Imo the floor in the first render was better than the new.

Also agreed with Marshkin, the role scene is too clean, maybe some dirt in that chair would fit well too.

I know that isn't the style that you are trying to get, but could be helpful for you:

D9obq.jpg

0AOSK.jpg