Home General Discussion

Fedora

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings;

I already assume that some of you might've made your website on your own and hosted them because I have seen few registered domains.

I wanted to know if anyone followed the L.A.M.P protocol on Fedora. If so, would you recommend it? Or should I stick with Debian or Ubuntu.

EDIT: Also is it wiser to buy a reasonable NAS for this case or a cheap Network storage would work.

Thanks.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    why not just use a shared hosting plan, would be more reliable and cheaper, than using your own server.

Portfolios are really simple anyways, most are just basic html+css, with at most a little php, all which can be hosted from a pretty cheap shared plan.

But to answer teh question yes im familiar with lamp stacks, but i always ran them on red hat, cent OS or openSuse, so no very familiar with FC.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, if you can get decent website hosting for $10 a month, I don't know why you'd want to host on a home server. I totally get hosting videos/tutorials/media/games/downloads on your own home server though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Running your own web server for a portfolio is total overkill.

Get a proper host like bluehost or something equivalent, so you don't have to do the server maintenance yourself or worry about speed/bandwidth/downtime from running it off your local ISP. Running a web server may be against your ISP's EULA as well.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Set up an amazon AWS server.. I think amazon now gives free cloud servers if you're under a certain threshold. Yep they do: http://aws.amazon.com/free/
    It's all the benefit of your own server, minus the annoyances of actually having one run off your own internet connection.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may sound crazy but I was actually thinking of buying a NAS or fiddle around with freeNAS, until I have a better method. I will work in CentOS because I cant really afford RH. I can go with that or any other free Linux OS for networking.

I will also look in to the Amazon AWS server but I wanted to actually get a good feeling about Apache since its what I've worked with before I will upgrade as I see fit.

Currently the only problem came in to my understanding was switching from VMware to Vbox because VBox is free to use and you have to pay the subscription fees I believe.
    Running a web server may be against your ISP's EULA as well.

I thought that only applies if you plan to make money off your website. I dont get it, how can you suggest or enforce share hosting or some other hosting yet you also state that it maybe against the ISP's EULA, but I'll look in to that as well. Thanks.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    I may be stating the obvious, but make sure you also have a static ip.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Amazon uses Apache. Run a linux instance, and install apache.

We're using Amazon for our app, but also the site. Our site doesn't get a lot of traffic but we do get around 10k hits a months. I'm pretty sure we're using the free tier for the site because the traffic is so low.
    You have total control as it is pretty much direct control over a computer somewhere in Amazons server farm :).

Pretty sure you can install any linux distro you want as well. We used the default option, but it has been working great for us!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime wrote: »
    Amazon uses Apache. Run a linux instance, and install apache.

We're using Amazon for our app, but also the site. Our site doesn't get a lot of traffic but we do get around 10k hits a months. I'm pretty sure we're using the free tier for the site because the traffic is so low.
    You have total control as it is pretty much direct control over a computer somewhere in Amazons server farm :).

Pretty sure you can install any linux distro you want as well. We used the default option, but it has been working great for us!

I'll see if I can try this. My main concern was NAS.