Home Technical Talk

Mudbox > Blender > Unity = Workflow Issue ( Ghosted Materials )

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
cody.rauh polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

Another day another issue, lol.

So I am building out my models, texturing them in mudbox, exporting them to blender to merge and re-unwrap uv's, then sending the asset into unity for testing.

Here is my issue. If you look to the left you see I have selected a single mesh, on a modulated 4 mesh tower. But you will also see it has 7 materials assigned to it.

9BbG4iK.jpg

You will however see in the next image there is in face a single material assigned to each mesh. All other materials have been removed from the properties of the object.

xQOJ35J.jpg

I am using the texturing method used by Brian Burell, with his helicopter tutorial. Everything in mudbox must be modulated for painting.

I use blender to then take all my pieces and make them into a single mesh object on a single texture.

Anyone know why there are ghosted materials? It seems they carry into mudbox to, as if i go back to generate normals or ambient maps with my new merged low poly model it will spit out multiple of the same texture, named with a heiarchy of..

material1_uv1
material1_uv2
material1_uv3
and so on...

Yet I have also merged my uvs, and deleted all other uv properties from my object. Extremely confused, there is only a single set of uv's per mesh now, but still receiving this ghost effect.

Any help is appreciated, cheers!

Replies

• cody.rauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Additionally just reducing the material size for each mesh in Unity. where is shows the 7 materials, causes parts of the mesh to go invisible from the scene.
  • cody.rauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Resolved]

Due to the way blender exports.. you cannot export the model after the merge, and re-import it to remove the extra materials without the materials ghosting.
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    Blender creates additional materials on export when using multiple textures. Before export, select all faces of each material and assign the same texture in the UV/Image editor, this should fix it.
  • cody.rauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found that out right before I went to post about it in the thread. cause ran into the same issue again today with another mesh. Wish I would have seen your post last night, lol.

Thank you Malkav!an
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    I feel like this needs to be clarified a bit, sorry if not.
    Blender creates materials for every texture applied into a mesh within the UV/Image editor during export. It also exports the actual materials applied to a mesh, in Blenders Material tab. Personally I use the materials as then I can preview stuff nicely with the GLSL shading, I just have to remember that whenever I edit UVs with a texture applied to the editing window I need to unlink the texture there after I'm done. You can also select every polygon in the mesh, apply a texture in the UV editor and then unlink that. This ensures that there are no additional materials created during export/import.