Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First attempt at handpainting a character [Feedback wanted]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
shrogg polycounter lvl 12
Hi all, just wanted to share this, I welcome all critique.

Future plans for this will probably be to make a weapon of some sort, a loin cloth and some sort of armor.

Polycount is currently at 2630 tris, mainly because The plan is to animate it and 2630 is not a bad number for a character of this sort. the dark spots around the eyes are the spheres I threw in there to give it a bit more life, (Working on an eye texture/mesh currently)

Texture: 512x512

MnUcdJo.png

Wireframe

pLAUHSW.png

Cheers

[Edit] Anyone know what causes these strange color shifts in Mudbox? (The color around the edge of the brush strokes looks like its Hue shifting?)
9ciM2s9.jpg

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    I dont know what the mudbox issue is. As far as the model/texture; watch your anatomy and lighting. Some of your lightest areas and shadows don't correspond with where they should. try working in some overall gradients and painting back into them as well. Here's a paintover example.
    POshrogg.gif

it may also help to know what this guy is. is he a troll or a dwarf? A rock gollum or plain ol' human?
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome feedback! Thanks.

A bit more info, he is a dwarf, albeit a somewhat naked one currently. Lives underground so his skin is pale. After looking at your paintover i can finally see how the anatomy should go (One of the areas i struggle in currently, as you can possibly tell)

This is a better example of the coloring issue im getting
    vCtYEG9.png

[Edit] Seems like Mirroring was causing the issues since the UVs are largely mirrored.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked out properly where the muscles and joints are, I will start defining them more tomorrow, possibly experimenting with color (My biggest fear, which i really need to get over)

QH45R6M.jpg