Home Technical Talk

PC Venting when baking

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
So when running specific programs like marmoset/keyshot, my pc will tend to start venting and overtime get hot.

When baking in xnormals, it'll go crazy and vent with AO bakes especially.

Would a new graphics card and power supply rid this problem or should i just get a new pc.

Heres my card and power supply as of now:

NVidia GeForce GT 610 + Power Supply of 430w (i believe?)

Before i usually did my bakes at school though...im a graduate now so bakes at home are quite scary haha

Replies

• iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    When was the last time you opened the case and cleaned the dust out? How many fans are there and/or what kind of cooling are you using?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Xnormal and offline programs like 3D packages use your CPU mainly, Marmoset should use mainly your GPU, while keyshot claims to use CPU again even if its somewhat realtime.

Its normal that your vents go on, the hardware works. Remember CPU programs use as much as there is to take for them, using all your free power, and you shouldnt be doing other intensive things aside at best.

Your GPU and supply are pretty low, especially the GPU, 10er series is a really low budget card. RAM plays also a role. If those are your specs, the rest will probably be similar, and id really reccommend a new PC.

Just keep in mind getting a CPU with 8 threads atleast, so a i7 or a 8 core AMD, thats important. And personally, I kinda regret only getting 16 GB ram, 24 should be on the safe side if you work with highpolies (7m+) and ram is really cheap.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Neither Xnormal or Keyshot use the GPU. When you say venting- do you just mean you hear fans spinning up? That is probably normal but if you are concerned you can log temps. The best solution here is a better CPU cooler and better case cooling.