Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kimber SOC WIP with PBR (need advice)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Fridock polycounter lvl 11
Hi there.
So i have been trying to get around those fancy PBR materials and post some wips here.
So here is what i got here:
78iuhMn.png
OxeDRWb.png
c8e4je2.png
The current state of the rifle. I don't like the way it looks now, very flat. I can't figure out how to get rid of that flatness and make it more good-looking. I need some advices here (a lot), because i have no idea where and what do i change in order to get it better. The metallic parts are looking kinda of okay, but it still needs work.

The textures:
ht1WYAF.jpg
This time i did use a lot of mirroring and overlapping techniques in order to save some uv space thanks to Robeomega.

Normal map only:
FJUY3vi.jpg

And finally the High Poly:
cumjruf.jpg
S7Vb0nw.jpg

So the model is around 9K tris, modeled in Softimage XSI, baked in Xnormals and all previews are done with Marmoset

Replies

• luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    well, most notably, you have small amounts of wear (which is totally fine btw...) on the metal, but I can't really notice any on the plastic at all, no finger prints, wipe marks, none of it. and I would have to agree about it looking flat. you could overlay your normal map overtop of itself in some areas to give it a deeper look, but I don't think that'll do much for you, may make it look worse. or you could put a darker shader in your diveted areas. also try adding in some light noise onto the plastic parts, in the albedo, spec and normal.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    The chassis is coated aluminum, so you could wear that a bit. I think it looks pretty good so far. An expensive rifle like this, unless its in service, probably isn't going to get roughed up too much. I would say put some oil marks here and there, but bolt guns run really clean and don't get oily like semi-autos do. Maybe try a multi-finish camo paint job? I know cerakote comes in more than flat, so maybe that could work?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The plastic parts tend to have a noisy grippy texture. Your plastic looks a bit too glossy and could be rougher from the photos I've looked at.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    The plastic parts tend to have a noisy grippy texture. Your plastic looks a bit too glossy and could be rougher from the photos I've looked at.

This is true. Magpul has two versions, one is hard plastic and one is soft rubber coated.

If you want, I could take pictures of mine under different light.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador wrote: »
    This is true. Magpul has two versions, one is hard plastic and one is soft rubber coated.

If you want, I could take pictures of mine under different light.
    That would be great if you do that!

Also here are different shots in different lights
    bOsxxUx.jpg
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I apologize if the images aren't the best, I don't have a lightbox (although I would like to build one...hmm weekend project!)

The first one is the soft rubber coated MIAD version. Its color is foliage green.
    The second is the hard plastic MOE version. Its olive drab green.

IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador thanks for the photos man
    Some updates on the gun