Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'Pirates' Game Assets

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
Hey, I started this thread to show all the bits and pieces I am working on for my indie game project 'Pirates' (highly original name) that will one day be a multiplayer PC game, check it out at: http://www.moddb.com/games/pirates

Anyway, I will post pics and info about the project. Currently I have been assigned to the creation of the Pirate Ships and all the parts that go with them, crits and feedback welcomed and encouraged.

To start, here is a shot of a Cannon I just finished.

Cannon1.png

Replies

• Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hull of the ship, So much work to do!!

exterior.jpg

gunports.png
  • Alessandro3dartist
    Very very Good. I like it. The Cannon is fantastic. Which software you used for rendering?. :)
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i dunno about anyone else, but when I think of anything on a pirate ship... I think it should look used, and that cannon... it looks brand new to me. you need some sword cuts, maybe offset the wood a tad to show its been fired. put some cuts in the wood. I mean, they do steal the stuff from other people... and were probably even in a fight with said people in order to steal it. but thats just my two cents.
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very very Good. I like it. The Cannon is fantastic. Which software you used for rendering?. :)

Thanks! I just did a quick real time render in Marmoset Toolbag, its quick and easy.
    i dunno about anyone else, but when I think of anything on a pirate ship... I think it should look used, and that cannon... it looks brand new to me. you need some sword cuts, maybe offset the wood a tad to show its been fired. put some cuts in the wood. I mean, they do steal the stuff from other people... and were probably even in a fight with said people in order to steal it. but thats just my two cents.

That's definitely true, I have quite a bit of dinting and scratches on the iron cannon itself and also on the wooden frame parts, perhaps only really noticeable in closer up shots, it is intended to be used in game as a weapon so I have designed it how I would for a 1st person weapon. Perhaps a bit more obvious and larger cracks and dents could help?
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    on the cannon part I'd say make them a tad bit bigger, since you can't do too much highlighting in the specular, as it is iron. but on the wooden frame, I mean story kind of wear, right now it just shows pure age wear, instead of having sword cuts in the wood. all i see on the frame is edge wearing. but you definitely don't want to overdo it.
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge wrote: »
    on the cannon part I'd say make them a tad bit bigger, since you can't do too much highlighting in the specular, as it is iron. but on the wooden frame, I mean story kind of wear, right now it just shows pure age wear, instead of having sword cuts in the wood. all i see on the frame is edge wearing. but you definitely don't want to overdo it.

Good point luge, I suppose another reason I have subtle wear/tear is because there will be a long line of these cannons on the ship deck right next to each other, and any bold 'story' type wear my look repetitive on all of them, maybe I can make a few differing revisions or somehow decal difference across them? Thanks for your input too.
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking for suggestions/crits about the Musket I am currently working on, playing around with normal maps before going on to diffuse texturing.

sd1.png

sds1.png

For anyone interested there are a few more shots here: http://forums.miriscus.com/index.php/topic,1148.0.html
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    seems like the model your baked has a different triangulation than the model its displayed with
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    seems like the model your baked has a different triangulation than the model its displayed with

hey Neox, thanks for the input, could you provide some more details on this?