Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] - Japanese House

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys, I am currently playing the part of lead environment artist in a 3rd year uni project called 'Whispers of Rei'.

I now have the main structure in place and will be updating this thread every night with progress. I would like any kind of critique on what you think may improve this scene to make it my best portfolio piece.

z7TEr4x.jpg

PBSYJTH.jpg

Replies

• 3dlix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like this setting. Its unused fresh and looks very atmospheric! keep on! maybe whats missing are some color variations or an eye-catcher, something specical which fit in this place!
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i agree, right now there doesn't appear to be anything to focus on, a lot of open space. I like the idea though. I can't wait to see more though.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Really nice start dude. I love it.

Reminds me of the old Fatal Frame game series. Terrifying.

If you haven't already checked them out, could be useful for construction and material reference...
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dlix - Totally agree dude, I am thinking about using red cloth hanging from the celing and walls to bring some colour in.

luge - thanks man, I really want to model a 'hero piece' but I am struggling to decide what to add? I think this scene maybe be more to do with lighting and composition than amazing single assets.

LANKUS MAXIMUS - Thanks man means alot :) YES!! that's exactly what I was going for, near enough completed the game just before starting this for inspiration haha :).

a few updates..
    Moved back home for Easter so nothing big but worth posting

ayonPkE.jpg
    cSMBv8a.png
    s2hkjQq.jpg

update

- removed some floorboards to break up floor
    - added cardboard boxes
    - added standing light for light source (still need to redo lighting as it doesnt feel like it fits yet
    - added joists for under kitchen

next

- lighting pass
    - tillable wood texture for under floorboards
    - paint over of scene to see what I can add in terms of colour variation
    - not sure about boxes...will come back to these..
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    I don't know if you are aware, but in japanese houses, there are very few places on the floor, that are actually covered with wood. Depending on status of owner and so forth, usually vast parts of the floor are covered in tatami mats (by which the room size is calculated).
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats not the case with kitchens. Kitchens are usually bare floor with maybe one tatami mat to sit on when eating. The reason for this i guess is hygiene, i cant imagine washing a tatami mat after spilling food on it.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah you are right, ofcourse :D always just remember the feel of tatami mats about the houses but can barely remember the kitchens.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    I think this is one of the better ones with japanese theme environments. I feel its quite authentic instead of the usual americanize style.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is one of the better ones with japanese theme environments. I feel its quite authentic instead of the usual americanize style.

Thanks man means alot :). Got some updates coming within the next few days :)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might go with a different lighting setup?

let me know what you think, still got a load of tweaking to do but thinking about a sunset setting.

JcsNFHu.jpg
  • mazerius1st
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazerius1st polycounter lvl 5
    This lighting setting is much nicer than the previous one.

My only concern is at the wood rails and columns in the outside corridor are supposed to be covered by ivy? If yes at the moment you can not distinguish each other and looks like a blurry blob.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazerius1st - Thankyou for your thoughts dude :). Yes that is ivy and yes i will be starting over with that, it does look very blooby atm
  • Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know if you are aware, but in japanese houses, there are very few places on the floor, that are actually covered with wood. Depending on status of owner and so forth, usually vast parts of the floor are covered in tatami mats (by which the room size is calculated).

? Most houses only have one or two tatami rooms. It's not really a status thing either, it's a preference.
    bcottage wrote: »
    Might go with a different lighting setup?

let me know what you think, still got a load of tweaking to do but thinking about a sunset setting.
    Is this a modern house?
    In japan 99% of lamps are fluorescent lights, even in homes office style lamps are used. I think those are necessary to get the right japanese feel.

This beauty hanging in every japanese house I've been in:
    P1080793-1.JPG