Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Hadidjah Chamberlin - Environment and Tech Artist Looking for Feedback

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
hadidjah polycounter lvl 8
Portfolio: http://www.hadidjah.com/

I just got back from GDC with a pile o' feedback on the art itself, so while critiques on the content is still absolutely appreciated, I would really love any thoughts on the actual website as well.

Currently I'm working on a small environment piece to make it look, well, more like an environment artist's portfolio (I'll link to it when I get a thread started for it... :"|), and implementing the art feedback I got from GDC.

Thanks guys!:)

hadidjah_wildstar_probot_main.jpg
hadidjah_dota2_plaguedoctor_main.jpg
hadidjah_marvelheroes_lootcrates.jpg
hadidjah_marvelheroes_purifiermortar.jpg
hadidjah_witchhut_main.jpg
hadidjah_dota2_mirana_joinedSkies_lodturns.jpg

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    dont have too much time right now

The good:
    the color usage is decent, id desaturate the light blue frame tho, its limits the palettes of your images. Fonts selection is good.

The bad:
    50% grey background are a no go and drag your images down
    The layout. Its like graphic designers Freddy Kruger.
    What were you thinking ? question everything

vh8eb2j4.png

Look up some layouting basics, its easily understood in 1-2 hours, it will improve your webpage a lot.

Also theres no place for sketchblogs in portfolios. thats stuff you show your friends. Its work that is per definition inferior to your "real work" and so it does not belong. Try cleaning up everything a little, make text shorter if possible, nicer to read, less clutter. More empty space in text, especially resum
  • hadidjah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hadidjah polycounter lvl 8
    Whoooaaa you got some nutsy version Shrike, I'm so sorry!

This is what it looks like on my browser, I'll have to look into what on earth's going on. :|
    brokenwebsite.jpg

Thank you for being my accidental guinea pig and taking the time to do such thorough feedback for such a freaky site. I will get on fixing the grey backgrounds, spacing, etc.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the image differences? Is it some sort of weird widespread caching issue (I updated the UI images this morning)? My friend is having problems with it loading the current images on his computer as well.
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like you fixed the problem, it is no longer looking wrong :)
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i would still remove the "generally quite enjoys it." kind of makes it sound like you are hesitant about liking what you do. makes it seem like you have a lack of passion if it were. otherwise, your art looks good. the site, i'm personally not a fan of the color scheme, but you can't please everyone on that. its easy to navigate and does its job.
  • MooseCommander
    Hey! Long time no see! Glad to see you are doing well since the Stanford days.

I will agree that the website probably needs a full redesign. It's a bit cluttered and I feel the design takes away from the art. The art needs a bit of room to breath, it feels packed together. Also agree on the intro banner - just have your name and your role. No point in being clever or adding anything else to it.

I'd suggest looking into Squarespace - lots of great templates to pick from, will resize for different devices, will work on all web browsers properly - and most importantly - will show off your work well. This is one of my coworker's sites - richardhealydesign.com. He is using squarespace and I think it shows what you can accomplish with it.

Hope that helps, and keep in touch!