Home General Discussion

UK Game Tax Breaks Finally Approved!

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
Fingers crossed this should help studios hire talented graduates who are struggling to find a job in games, drive the future of the UK's gaming industry and reduce the number of layoffs!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/456042/games-tax-breaks-approved-after-arduous-wait/?utm_content=buffer8b0a5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-27-uk-video-game-tax-breaks-approved
    Projects must pass a cultural test. Points are awarded for the amount of development undertaken in the UK, the fact that certain job roles are carried out by UK staff and whether at least half the game's overall team are from the UK.

Some developers have expressed concern about the aspect of the test that deals with the content of the game itself.

I wish I could be overwhelmingly positive about this news, but the UKs controlling censorship loving bureaucracy will make it as unattractive as the tax breaks make it alluring.

No one wants the goverment sticking their dick into your gameplays content.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The criteria are pretty nasty. The majority of the game must be set in the UK / EEA, the majority of the games characters must also be from the UK / EEA.

The game must majority be developed in the UK / EEA, but that's kind of the point. I'm disappointed by the fact it's basically got to be set in Europe; kind of limiting for fantasy / scifi games!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    The criteria are pretty nasty. The majority of the game must be set in the UK / EEA, the majority of the games characters must also be from the UK / EEA.

At first I was like yaaaaay! then I heard this stuff about the game needing to be uk in cultural content? thats a really limiting factor. haha maybe we will have devs trying to cash in making games like scifi rts based on a steampunk british empire? or a fantasy hack n slash mmo based on celtic lore?
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    You say that as if it's a bad thing.. but both of those things actually sound pretty cool.

Anyway, you guys might want to read about it a little more be before being disappointed about things that aren't true.

From RPS:
    RPS: The big question first – I’m already seeing jokes, confusion and despair about the ‘cultural test’, which sets out the criteria by which games are assessed. Although the final guidelines for that test haven’t been published, there are already criteria including ‘whether the game is based in Britain’, ‘whether the game is based on a British story’ and so forth. But it also measures ‘the amount of work done in the UK’. Does that, and the citizenship of the development team, carry more weight than the game’s content? For example, could a game based in an unpeopled abstract surrealist realm qualify if the entire team were based in the UK?

Twist: The short answer to this is no, you will not need to fill games with clich
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    You say that as if it's a bad thing.. but both of those things actually sound pretty cool.

Anyway, you guys might want to read about it a little more be before being disappointed about things that aren't true.

From RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/29/what-a-relief-talking-to-ukie-about-uk-tax-breaks/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/12/how-british-is-british-the-rules-for-uk-tax-relief/

I'm struggling to find the developer who made some kind of American Idol (or whatever talent show is big in America) video game and they also passed the test... so...

As a British citizen who this could benefit I still think any test at all is bullshit, there should be a tax break for all or a tax break for none, a monetary incentive could be used for cultural censorship, favoritism, all sorts of negative aspects could emerge across the industry.

I am not that confident in the localized citizenship job boost policy, it will further lead to off the book outsourcing I am sure and I personally don't like borders when it comes to this industry, a professional athlete can traverse freely, even people playing these games registered as "athletes" can have greater freedom of travel than the people making them.

if I am putting together a studio and the best character artist is in canada, the best texture artist I can find is in the US the best writer is in the UK and I want this dream team all in one location its a absolute nightmare.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a British citizen I'm disappointed you used American English throughout that post.

I'm still struggling to see what you're angry about. I think I got lost when you started talking about athletes. But ok!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Requiring it to be a cultural export just seems silly to me but as I understand it's a loophole to get around EU regulations.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrA9-2xnGY"]SuperEgo: M asks Bond, "How British am I?" - YouTube[/ame]
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a British citizen I'm disappointed you used American English throughout that post.

I'm still struggling to see what you're angry about. I think I got lost when you started talking about athletes. But ok!

It is a global society, Perhaps I have picked up some colloquialisms as a result of that,But what do you want from me? must I burst out with cockney rhyming slang to earn your esteemed approval?

I was merely stating I am a British citizen to give context, so it would not seem like I am emerging with my firmly held views from some sort of envy.

Quite simply, it's easier to get a athlete visa approval than a game developer, and given Pro gamers can fall under the Athlete category you can quite literally have a situation where someone who plays a game can work in a country, but not the person who made the game.

What I am "angry" about is a anti-freedom, bureaucratic orwellian nightmare of a country having a say in what goes into a game, and it is so obviously open to abuse, all UK employees will give you a bigger tax break, that's as much of an incentive to operate out of the UK and outsource as much as possible as it is to create stable jobs in well put together studios.

If you can't see what the problem is with all this fine print attached to the eye popping headline "*tax breaks for the UK game industry" you must be extremely short sighted.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd assume outsourcing all your shit would invalidate the clause that requires the majority of your development to happen in the UK.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw somewhere that they only expect about 25% of UK developed games to be able to get the break.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is a global society, Perhaps I have picked up some colloquialisms as a result of that,But what do you want from me? must I burst out with cockney rhyming slang to earn your esteemed approval?

If you can't see what the problem is with all this fine print attached to the eye popping headline "*tax breaks for the UK game industry" you must be extremely short sighted.

I was joking about your Americanised spellings. Sorry, I should have realised that was a mistake.

Also, please don't bring my glasses into this.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Requiring it to be a cultural export just seems silly to me but as I understand it's a loophole to get around EU regulations.

SuperEgo: M asks Bond, "How British am I?" - YouTube

The best thing about this thread..
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm kinda hoping there's a bit more variety than creating tons of British games. There's options for Scottish/Irish titles. But I feel like they'll be a bunch of Victorian Era and steampunkish titles.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator

haha yeah I was just kidding but they dont sound like the worst ideas for games! Its just annoying because a studio needs to be flexible with its ideas not tied down to some arbitrary guidelines. Extreme example: at a mobile games studio we release a lot of small games per year, imagine we work 2 months on one uk style game and get tax breaks and then the month after release we design a non uk style game and have to cut down costs and maybe even fire people cause we loose our tax breaks and cant afford them? seems silly.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But as I posted, this cultural test isn't just based on the content of the game. If a game like Super Hexagon passed the 'culture' test then I don't see why your next 'non-UK style' game wouldn't pass it either. As long as you didn't suddenly fire everyone and outsource everything though I guess. :P

Excessive0000 pointed out that I was being short sighted by just believing the headlines of 'UK TAX BREAKS!!!1101!" (even though all I did was post factual information about the cultural test), but I feel a lot of people are just looking at the cultural test headlines and then just assuming it's the be all and end all to the tax break.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    If a game like Super Hexagon passed the 'culture' test then I don't see why your next 'non-UK style' game wouldn't pass it either. .

Yeah but its still a problem when a developer has to carefully question its ideas for the next game - just in case - it isnt as lucky as super hexagon. We will have to wait and see, Id be surprised if they are bothered to police all the ideas of every company.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    seems a bit daft to have to meet some kind of cultural requirement. hope there is not a slew of mary poppins steam punk titles , winston churchill run( bit like temple run) or a Rab C Nesbitt FPS
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'm kinda hoping there's a bit more variety than creating tons of British games. There's options for Scottish/Irish titles. But I feel like they'll be a bunch of Victorian Era and steampunkish titles.

Scotland, Ireland (England and Wales) are British... but yeah this conjures up the idea of games of tea drinking and crumpet sniffing. Perhaps a spell of doffing yer cap and tugging yer forelock to the aristocracy. Be all proper like.

Lame.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty sure the film industry has the same cultural test for their tax breaks too, which has been going on for years with great success and bought stability to our vfx industry. In fact it's pissing people off as most people now come to the uk to film and places like LA have completely down sized, with studio space down here fully booked for years.

A list of movies getting tax breaks due to being filmed over here or vfx;
    New Star Wars
    Avengers age of ultron
    Maleficent
    New Alice in wonderland
    Jack Ryan
    Monuments men
    Snow White and the huntsman
    Gravity

Last year the film tax relief saved film makers £202 million. It sounds great but our government never does anything out of the goodness of their own hearts. Hopefully more business and less taxes equates to more money for them than less business but higher tax rates. They are hopefully doing the same for our television industry aswell, donned at the moment the 'downtown abbey relief'

So hopefully if a game is uk made and the majority of the team is British then you got a good chance already.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    if I am putting together a studio and the best character artist is in canada, the best texture artist I can find is in the US the best writer is in the UK and I want this dream team all in one location its a absolute nightmare.

Let's say you do that.
    You get four points from using the English language, three from making it here, and up to eight from having European leads, so you'd get six.
    You've got thirteen of the required sixteen points to qualify.

Of your remaining choices there's...
    A European or fictional setting, four and three points respectively.
    The majority of your lead characters are European or from a fictional setting gets you four points. If only one of the lead characters is, you get two points if they're the main character, one point if they're the third main character.
    The story relating to a European country is worth four points.
    Your last choice, and this is probably where lawyers get to interpret the rules, you get up to four points for "the contribution of the video game to the promotion, development and enhancement of British culture."

It's not going to be hard to qualify.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Marine wrote: »
    It's not going to be hard to qualify.

yeah that sounds pretty easy actually.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scotland, Ireland (England and Wales) are British.

No.

Ireland is not British. Britain is a group of islands and the major island is Great Britain, consisting of Wales, England and Scotland. Ireland is it's own island.

The United Kingdom is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (the top 1/6th of the island of Ireland). The Republic of Ireland is it's own sovereign nation, with a different government, different currency and everything.

People are still shooting and bombing eachother over this distinction, so it pays to get it right.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Ireland is part of the British Isles. Disputed or not, I'd call that British.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ireland is part of the British Isles. Disputed or not, I'd call that British.

Then I call you wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ireland is a part of the British Isles (thats British Isles not GB). I would not call it british though, I think british only refers to people from the UK or one of its overseas territories. Keep in mind Northern Ireland is a part of the UK so some people here do think of themselves as british. Regardless a lot of people from Ireland live in the UK and a lot of people from the UK live in Ireland.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, Ireland is a part of the British Isles geographically - but not a part of Britain. It is however a republic and has little to do with the United Kingdom; it's people are not British, they're Irish.

It's sovereignty isn't disputed, either; the dispute is over the political status of Northern Ireland as there is a divide over whether Northern Ireland should become a part of Ireland or remain a part of the UK.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    So, back to cool british-themed game ideas? Carpet bombing, general arthur harris sims? Been a while since the last b-17 game!
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Been a while since the last b-17 game!

But the B-17 is pretty much the most iconic American bomber from WW2!

Maybe a game based around the Lancaster?
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We could do with more British horror games. A classic haunted mansion or something set in rural Scotland.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    We could do with more British horror games. A classic haunted mansion or something set in rural Scotland.

that would be quite scary!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    mystichobo wrote: »
    But the B-17 is pretty much the most iconic American bomber from WW2!

Maybe a game based around the Lancaster?

Lancasters and Spitfires then, yeah ;-)