Home General Discussion

Game Business Cards

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
I know lots of business cards change hands at events like GDC and with it having just ended, it seemed like a good opportunity to ask the community for input as I start to design my own cards for future events.

So here are my questions for the community:

-What makes a good game industry business card?

-Do you have any tips for specific roles (Artist putting artwork on cards, etc)

-How many cards do you usually collect at an event?

-How many do you actually follow up with after the event? (Look at portfolios, send emails, calls, and so forth.)

-Are there any designs/trends you're tired of seeing?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Simple, efficient design works best. Basically, avoid making it look like clip art and google "best business card designs."

If you have a quality piece of art that you are definitely known for, stick the artwork on your card. Otherwise, make a personal logo/signature that is indicative of you as a professional. Almost like a brand. That's just general for all roles though.

First thing I usually do is LinkedIn connecting right afterwards, or once my week cools down.

Designs that don't allow for note-taking spaces makes me sad. Or are obtuse in terms of me being able to stack it with other cards or in my wallet.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I went for this. Sort of moody and old fashioned, like the inside of an old book. But with a nice pretty piece of art on the front, and my name nice and big. I was more concerned about the piece of art working well with the sort of minimalistic design, than I was about it being my most interesting piece of art. I think this piece has a nice composition, intrigues people, has pretty colors, and isn't too busy. If I used a busier piece of art, I think it would have taken away from the aesthetic of the card.

oQEASns.jpg

Not sure how it compares to other cards, but I think it's unique enough to get some attention, anyway.

Basically, it represents me well. And I think that's important.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Mine looks like this

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y"]American Psycho: Business Card Scene - YouTube[/ame]
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 wrote: »
    -Do you have any tips for specific roles (Artist putting artwork on cards, etc)

I have printed three runs with 100 business cards with different artwork so far. I usually hand a couple of cards to somebody and let them chose one that they like. So far the people i have handed them too always seem to enjoy getting a small image of my work and usually comment on the quality of the card.

Image from my second set of printed business cards.
    V81ZDpR.jpg
  • CordellC
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Protip:

Moo will let you upload 50 different designs on the back of their business cards. Great way to include lots of pieces if you have work that would fit well with small cards (the front/info side stays the same).
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    For the love of god take your time designing them and get few opinions on them.

I use print24.co.uk for large print orders/ 2k+ cards, 2 sided UV £40.

Within the hour of sending off my cards for print, i created several new designs which i loved more than my printed one. Sigh ;')

I do like the look of Moo, for more personal printed cards though the prices are steep. Might just spam with my standard cards and order in a nice selection of Moo cards for face to face meetings.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @Jade: I didn't really think about leaving white-space for notes. That's a good point to consider when designing them.

@Joopson: Looks great! Has listing your skills/software knowledge been particularly helpful? Everyone I seem to talk to about cards is always saying to write as little text as possible and basically just the name/email/website. I assume they're expecting me to have told someone more specific info and that said person will remember from talking to me.

@Twoflower: Those look great! I'm not sure that I have enough polished pieces to warrant that approach.

@CordellC / Lazerus: Already been given the tip about Moo! Seems like a good service although as Lazerus noted, a bit more pricey if you only want something simple.