Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ring master

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
brenly polycounter lvl 7
Creating a random little scene for fun, still have to finish the base off and tighten the textures.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions.
cheers

[SKETCHFAB]8601193de0674329b49537e58012604c[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Edit: It works now. It takes very long to load up for me, though.

Topology is way overkill in my opinion. His chin makes me think that's his open-mouth shouting without an actual mouth. Fix texture behind his ears. Did you use a baking cage ? And I think floating geo for his eyebrow might make it look better. More volume and break silhouette.
  • Rabant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Link works for me, so not sure whats up.
    Looks pretty good, I'm digging the heavily stylized look. There is definitely room to improve some textures (under the bat, weird circle on his left side of the neck, etc) but I am sure you already know that. The face is looking really solid though.
    Good work!
  • brenly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brenly polycounter lvl 7
    PyrZern Your not suppose to look at the topology ;) Im just working the aesthetics. I polypainted in Zbrush and now painting in photoshop to finish him off. No baking.
    Rabant Yeh, Ill slowly get around to tightening the textures. Still working on the overall design.
  • brenly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brenly polycounter lvl 7
    links where broken .. but now working .. odd
  • brenly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brenly polycounter lvl 7
    Ok .. another update, started painting the actual dome.
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    I dig it! Maybe add some geo to the banner on the bottom?
  • brenly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brenly polycounter lvl 7
    Here is latest update .. St4lis .. Im not going to add anymore geo.

[SKETCHFAB]ad2e3ef87539407bac537c1ba9333150[/SKETCHFAB]
  • citizen_j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    citizen_j polycounter lvl 13
    cool character, well presented. nice one. What's the deal with black scribble on the sphere? :)
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not so sure about the materials of the base. Isn't it supposed to be metal? It looks like a black and white diffuse texture. The rest is pretty cool. I would be interested in learning what he's holding in his left hand. Is that a hula-hoop?

So yeah, some retouching the materials would be great. Is it possible to put a cubemap on the sphere (so it would look more like glas from the outside)? I figure that must be difficult, since the texture/normals are inverted. I don't quite get where those dark blobs on the sphere come from. Does that mean you already use a 2-sided material?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    It's painted nicely and all, but what is the point in having the guy be soo high poly ( especially when it's hand painted). Also you have holes in the back of the ears, the bottom of the pedestal has weird uvs underneath. Weird UVs with the base of the flag as well.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry btw, I just came back here and realized the base textures are WIP and you clearly say so!

I think the UV problems mentioned by Stevston89 are a testament to efficient work. It's not ideal for the Sketchfab presentation, but if this thing sat on some shelf in a game it would be perfectly fine.

The reason _I came back though, is because I forgot to say how awesome it would be if this was actually a functional "snow-dome" (that the right name?). You could have glittery silver stars rain on the character, when it is shaken.

What did you paint with (Mudbox?) and why did you actually bake this at all? It seems like a hand-painted texture would work fine on the model without baking.

>>EDIT: How can you have more Triangles than vertexes on a model? I was surprised about the polycount, but I guess most of it is the globe.