Home General Discussion

DirectX12

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
Just saw this page for DX12. I am really surprised to be honest.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx

Looks like is is going to be presented on 20th.

What can we expect from DX12?

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Better graphicses.

Seriously though I feel like I'm missing out on so much this GDC, wish I could go :(
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    Torch wrote: »
    Better graphicses.

Seriously though I feel like I'm missing out on so much this GDC, wish I could go :(

Same here. I wish I could attend GDC. Maybe sometime in the future. Looks like there will be tons of new stuff on this GDC.
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    What can we expect from DX12?

Probably better multicore support and reduced overhead.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    We can probably also expect it to be largely ignored like Dx10, since current consoles and desktops don't aupport it anyway.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Nothing that OpenGL doesn't already offer and do it better.

@up. I don't agree. DirectX 12 will be catching up to current hardware (GCN 2.0 and Kepler). GCN 2.0 is in consoles.

But to be honest I really doubt that any serious developer will step into DirectX again. There is just no reason to trust Microsoft in developing Direct 3D as it should be, and there is every reason to trust NVIDIA and AMD to develop OpenGL the way that benefits them most (and by extension all graphics and high perfomance development).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    That's a lot of dicks.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Even the tutors at my university fobbed off DirectX in general... OpenGL was always the goto. I honestly don't think it'll be that much of a jump, most likely as Iniside said, it'll be a catch-up to OpenGL.
  • Grindigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindigo polycounter lvl 6
    DX12 is Microsoft's response to AMD's Mantle, it's meant to hook up better with hardware and give more performance, but honestly if they make DX12 an exclusive to Windows 8.1, they can go walk themselves out, but I'm sure they will do it.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    We can finally tighten up the damn graphics on level 3.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Directx on Xbox One and mobile hardware? Interesting.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    iniside wrote: »
    Nothing that OpenGL doesn't already offer and do it better.

@up. I don't agree. DirectX 12 will be catching up to current hardware (GCN 2.0 and Kepler). GCN 2.0 is in consoles.

But to be honest I really doubt that any serious developer will step into DirectX again. There is just no reason to trust Microsoft in developing Direct 3D as it should be, and there is every reason to trust NVIDIA and AMD to develop OpenGL the way that benefits them most (and by extension all graphics and high perfomance development).

as much as i agree with you there's something that disagrees with us both, and by a multitude neither of us can compete with:

money.

the reason you see DX11 splattered all over gpu boxes worldwide is because the manufacturers are paid to do that. the same cycle will continue as long as microsoft keep throwing money around. DX will continue to be "the norm", especially on any title that's xbox exclusive, or cross platform between xbox and pc.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    as much as i agree with you there's something that disagrees with us both, and by a multitude neither of us can compete with:

money.

the reason you see DX11 splattered all over gpu boxes worldwide is because the manufacturers are paid to do that. the same cycle will continue as long as microsoft keep throwing money around. DX will continue to be "the norm", especially on any title that's xbox exclusive, or cross platform between xbox and pc.

I disagree. It is actually AMD and NVIDIA that throw money and engineering support for game developers.
    Microsoft do not, do such thing. If they did, they stopped long time ago.

And I agree it is money. Money for AMD and NVIDIA. They want people to buy their high-end GPUs (or at least middle). DirectX is choking them. That and Valve is the reason for recent OpenGL renaissance.

Microsoft simply can't beat OpenGL. Unless they rewrite DirectX from scratch. And even then. OpenGL is multiplatform (which is now more important than ever). While DirectX with each version is supported on less platforms :D
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I can see DX12 being less relevant for PC Gamers with SteamOS/Boxes on the horizon, especially if SteamOS takes off.

GOG also just announced it's support for Linux as well.

The future looks bright on PC for gaming without Microsoft.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    hmmmm. this will prove to be interesting.... i wonder what it will have as far as new "compelling" features lol