Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tristan's 2014 Character WIPs.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
I'm making this easier and changing out the lead post to include my most recent updates of the stuff I'm currently working on. In addition, you'll find posts below including various stages etc.

I'd really love as much feedback as possible to improve my art and update my portfolio.

Updates 3/23/14:

E5AKFlp.jpg

182Eqka.jpg

sOtTeNh.jpg

7O5H4Mh.jpg

Replies

• AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGarton polycounter lvl 9
    Not the best at anatomy myself but that line down the back looks too deep, the back muscles look off for some reason but I couldn't say why without looking at a study. The abdomen is almost completely formless and there is a seperation between the legs and torso which make it look like the attachment you'd see on a plastic action figure. Also that clavicle extrusion would carry on over the shoulder. It's also hard to tell how the ribcage interacts with the rest of the torso; why doesn't it look like a rib cage, and why do the pecks poke through when no other muscles do? I get that it's stylised but try working from real skeleton reference.
    It's looking cool overall though. Loving those teeth-like protrusions on the top of the thighs :)
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGarton: Thanks for the feedback, while I don't have access to a proper anatomy model such as the one anatomytools carries, they did have enough images of theirs that I was able to go in and correct quite a few of the anatomy problem areas.

I'm looking for as much input and feedback as possible. The plan is to have a lot of the cracks and holes that are being brought out in the sculpt to glow an orange-red with an emissive map, while the flesh/carapace surfaces will be hues of brown red and black, with possibly some subtle greens etc in the diffuse, we'll find that out when we get there.

Right now, I'm debating on whether I should include armor and weapons for this guy or not, and I'd love some input on that as I'm working from a reference board not a direct concept.

Anyway, here are some updates.

UKFCwJP.jpg

WbIZDcF.jpg

BkSJOLH.jpg
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looking good. I'd try to push the demon-ness a bit more, make the arms, calves and back less human-like. Some spikes coming out of the elbows might be cool?
    I personally don't think he needs armor. Wings could look cool.
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice improvements! Agree with komaokc completely ^ Spines/quills out his back might look cool too, lots of ways to go!
    The structure of the tail seems odd; might want to decide whether it's beefy for bashing or flexible for slashing/stinging. Built in the current 50/50 way it couldn't do either effectively.
    Loving the abdomen :) The feet look a bit big, might work if he flew and perched, but I imagine him walking like he's wearing a pair of flippers.
    A sword or spear would be really cool, and he looks too intelligent to be a grunt so maybe a drape or jewllery to enhance his regal appearance? It's looking great anyway man, keep it up!
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, I should have some progress updates on the demon lord pretty soon. However, in addition to the demon I've been working on another character based off Konstantin Maystrenko's concept.

This was originally was going to be part of the first monthly newb character challenge, but there were some aspects of the original concept I did like, and some I really didn't like. After a few weeks of toying around with a few ideas I finally got to rebuilding the character about 4 days ago, and this is where she currently stands:

E5AKFlp.jpg

182Eqka.jpg

sOtTeNh.jpg

7O5H4Mh.jpg

I figured since I've been getting feedback on the demon, I might as well get some input on her. Currently, I still have to detail the front leather loin piece, the large belt piece, and I'm still debating whether I want to add any armor/wrappings to her arms or cover them in tattoos similar to those in the original concept. I didn't like how the original concept had an odd material change from her elbows down from her regular skin. Also, Ignore the hair cards I've place for now as I'm still toying around with placement and such.

With all that said, lay the feedback on me as this girl and the demon will wind up being the first two characters put on my updated portfolio.
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much to crit on this one; I'd say go with the tattoos since it's more eye catching than arm wraps and makes the concept stand out. Also the ears merge with her head too smoothly, but if you're covering them with hair that won't matter.
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, AGarton. I agree about her ears, they've given me trouble throughout the entire project while I've been working on her. I agree about the tattoos, though I may add in a bracer or something as I'm currently deciding whether I want her to have a bow or blade. I've deviated so much from the original concept that she's practically become her own thing at this point. I'll see what I can tweak with her ears, and thanks for the crit.