Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Job Search / Portfolio Crit.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
My domain name and hosting expired and instead of renewing I figured I would start fresh, so behold: http://scottneill.weebly.com/

I think it's an improvement from my old site that was done with my mediocre html skills, any thoughts?

Also while my job hunt continues I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone (preferably in Ontario, Canada) knows of any openings for either QA or Environment Artist, but seeing as my only environment is a WIP it'll be pretty hard to get that kind of employment, but if anyone knows of any QA please let me know

Replies

• arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    I think the layout is nice, and you have contact info and resume right up front and easy to find, so IMO that's swell.

Really just focus on filling it up with good work. I wouldn't worry about looking for jobs without a few more finished projects, just the one Glock and untextured car models isn't going to be enough for work in games.
  • caelumstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht wrote: »
    I think the layout is nice, and you have contact info and resume right up front and easy to find, so IMO that's swell.

Really just focus on filling it up with good work. I wouldn't worry about looking for jobs without a few more finished projects, just the one Glock and untextured car models isn't going to be enough for work in games.

Agree. Your web layout is nice. Texture one or two cars of yours and it will be perfect
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    you'll need at least 2 - 3 environments for anyone to consider you.

and i would suggest taking out microsoft office suite from your resume.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino wrote: »
    and i would suggest taking out microsoft office suite from your resume.

a lot of places list it as a requirement for QA, and I rather them not second guess me even if it is pretty basic and almost common knowledge - i don't think it hurts anyone being there

thanks for the feed back, and i'll get cracking on more work : )
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Untextured models always feel unfinished.

For the pistol, include both the hi & low poly models.

I'd have to agree that you should include environments if you are going for an environmental artist position. Also, make sure you include in-engine renders.

The white background is rather stark.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put up a preview shot of my current project im working on. I know some don't necessary agree with posting WIP on a portfolio but the pic I posted is a nearly finished part of the scene, so I think it looks okay - thoughts?

preview.jpg
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having 3 unfinished cars in your portfolio isn't a good idea. I think the middle one (looks like a jetta) is the weakest one just in terms of modeling. Just some smoothing errors and more faceting than the other vehicles. Maybe dump it and finish the other 2.

If you are shooting for an Environment Artist position, then post environments. Your immediately shooting yourself in the foot by not having any.

With the sci fi panel...there is literally no reason to show WIP stuff on your portfolio. The panel is a relatively simple asset...and a small part of what you would actually need to have a finished environment.

Remember, if you aren't showing off your absolute best work, then you shouldn't be showing it off.

I'd say, take a step back...spend some time building a nice environment up...then post it when you are finished.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    might worth spending some time in some other portfolio piece apart from the car
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might be interesting to make some textures for those vehicles.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really have no interest in doing textures for the cars, they were just modelling practice for me, not sure if I should label them as so or take them down. The Jetta is the weakest link, I modeled that one while trying to use a significantly less amount of tris then the others, maybe i'll re-render them all out and label them LOD's or modelling practice - or cut them once i finish my sci fi scene

my focus now is all environments, so i will be making another after the current. I appreciate the feedback guys, I was looking more for feedback on the site and sounds like there really isn't any complaints as to layout just lack of proper content which hopefully I get around to changing up soon : )
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the website, but dont forget: Plastic on Glock pistols has no metallic wear.
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    Honestly, if the vehicles were just modeling practice, then they aren't good portfolio pieces even if the modeling is clean.

As for the site, it's simple, it has your contact info or a way to contact you in pretty good spots, the only other spot I'd add your contact info to is the footer if you can edit it.