Home Technical Talk

Merging multiple objects uv into a single map and baking with xnormal?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
I'm working on this character for a game development class and I have this characters high poly sculpt completed. I've started on the retopology on the individual objects. The part is confuseing me is 1 how do I make all of the objects share 1 uv map, and then 2 how do I go about baking the normal, ao, cavity, and diffuse from polypaint with x normal?

Software I'm using: zbrush , maya, topogun, xnormal, photoshop.

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hi there.

about the uv map problem.. I'm not sure how it works in maya but if you merge the lowpoly together you can unwrap it onto one map. Maybe you can select all objects and unwrap then. In max this would work. The most basic info is: you have your uv / texture space and the unwrap of every single object may not be placed above any other objects unwrap.

you bake your normal ao cavity not from your polypaint but just from the highpoly geo

you can bake the polypaint in zbrush or - if you have the highpoly with uv's and a texture - in xnormal
    there you have to set the base texture of your highpoly and choose the base texture bake
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you. ill give it a try. and post screen grabs if i have any issues. I think if i combine mesh in maya it will work similar to the way 3dsmax does just minus the modifier stack.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    you can bake the polypaint in zbrush or - if you have the highpoly with uv's and a texture - in xnormal
    Xnormal does not require the sculpt to have UV data. It can read and bake the polypaint directly from the OBJ.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Xnormal does not require the sculpt to have UV data. It can read and bake the polypaint directly from the OBJ.

Even better. Thanks
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In xnormal you can load multiple meshes into the lowpoly tab, as long as they share the same uv layout it will use all of them and it should work fine.

Whenever I unwrap multiple objects, I do a basic unwrap of each, and then pack them all together, usually I'll combine the objects into one, or put the others in a background layer and line everything up. This is in Modo, but I'm sure you can do similar in Maya.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I tried baking my normal map from all of my high poly meshes to all of my low poly meshes (I combined my low poly meshes into a single object), and it gave me one flat color. I'm not sure what the problem is and i can post pictures later tonight/early tomorrow . I'll try baking them individually to see if that solves anything. I did get it bake the diffuse from poly paint but after looking at it I'm not sure if that came out right in marmoset. Some of the colors bled, but I'm not sure if that was from using a 256 x 256 size map as the test or if my low poly mesh doesn't fit the high poly right.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Best way to troubleshoot xnormal bake problems is to check in xnormal's 3d viewer to see that the meshes have imported correctly (Are all pieces there? Is your lowpoly smoothing correct? Scale?) Are they positioned correctly? Does the cage surround the highpoly? Usually you'll find out what is wrong quite quickly by checking xnormal's viewport.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so here are my images, but it still looks a little blocky Like the nose or the cloth, is there something that could have been done in the normal map or do i just need more edge loops.