Home Technical Talk

creo( pro engineer) problems

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I am trying to import a mesh from max in to pro engineer or creo as it's now known.

can I do anything with a standard mesh( obj import)?
it won't display my textures and I can't seem to edit it

I guess it more suited for nurbs surfaces or creating stuff from parametric objects.

any tip on how to approach this would be cool

supposedly you can import either meshes or cloud points and create some kind of auto topology which is a 'surface' from what i can gather, maybe something like a nurbs surface or patch.

cheers
mike

Replies

• Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creo's a NURBS modeller. I haven't used it in a few years, so take my advice only from past experience. I very much doubt you'd be able to edit a poly model in it. If there's a conversion feature, it will recreate the file in NURBS. If there are problems with this, it may be best to use a third party converter and convert it into an IGES/STEP file.

Ps Parametric means being able to add dimensions, constraints etc, and to be able to go back in history and make modifications which will update all later features.

Why do you want to bring it into Creo?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers Playdo I pretty much figured out its mainly a NURBS modeller, just wondered if it could do some kind of auto conversion then a bit of tidying up.

basically the client wants my model that I made printing in 3d as a prototype that will be manufactured, but the company printing it doesn't really know what to do with poly/mesh based stuff

They are only using Pro engineer/Creo ( are they the same) but I figured if they imported the mesh they could still print it out ?
    I think they were probably expecting a NURBS model though.
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    heya ruz,,
    ive been through this ringer a few times,i think easiest solutions is Form Z for converting to STEP/iges files. or if they are techie i remember seeing a utility somewhere on the web that can take an obj and generate tool paths that they can feed directly into there mill.

had some huge stuff milled that was to big for a 3d print by these guys, think i remember saying they just converted the obj;s in formz to a iges/step for the mill...
    http://www.danielswoodland.com/
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    meshiah , cheers for that info, appreciate it. I will look in all this stuff tonight
    good to make stuff that gets made big.
    I did a statue of a basketballer which I think was installed at some aiport in the US. It was made by some kind of evil giant milling machine.
    Not allowed to show the model though

my current project is for a toy company, which is a first for me