Home General Discussion

The Waiting Game

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Higuy polycounter lvl 9
Hello fellow Polycounters,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I wanted to see what you guys thought...

About a week ago, I applied to a few jobs pertaining to my certain field (level design) and also one as a QA Tester (to see if I can get my foot in the door that way also, I know its not fun really). While I haven't heard anything, and I've heard it can take a while even if you do end up hearing back, should I eventually contact the company's I applied to see where I stand? I don't want to be a pest - perhaps they haven't gotten to my resume, maybe they have and just tossed it, but who knows. It's frustrating, but I'm sure you've all heard that before. Also some company's I applied to used online applications - no "real" email (unless they contact you), so its even harder to see where you might be.

What do you guys do about this? I'm new to it all and would just like some advice. Thanks.

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    There's some good info here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1U9DWkdPFE"]CrunchBites 12 Putting Yourself Out There - YouTube[/ame]
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I'll give that a watch - thanks!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry I can't really speak from experience yet. Wish I could help more. :(

Best of luck in your job search!
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy wrote: »
    While I haven't heard anything, and I've heard it can take a while even if you do end up hearing back, should I eventually contact the company's I applied to see where I stand?

Don't contact them. If you haven't heard from them, the answer is no. It's a common policy not to contact rejected candidates.

Until you have a signed contract, assume you don't have the job and keep applying at other companies.

The reverse is not true. You should always return e-mails with job offers as soon as possible, even if you aren't interested. This is just a good habit to get into because you want to develop a reputation for being professional. Even if an offer is insulting, just give a nice "no thank you" and move on.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    follow up emails never hurt...if you don't hear anything after a couple of weeks...shoot them an email and tell them thanks for the opportunity and if a position turns up that matches your skill-set, to please keep you in mind....this is especially true if you are talking with someone other than HR.....I actually got my first studio gig this way..the worst thing that will happen is that it will get ignored...the best, someone might take your interest as a good sign that you are compatible with the company. Good luck.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    RyanB wrote: »
    Don't contact them. If you haven't heard from them, the answer is no. It's a common policy not to contact rejected candidates.

Bad advice! I always follow up. I typically have a 2 week waiting period but that's because I'm just that casual, man. "This guy seems too interested in working for us" said no hiring manager ever.

As far as being confident in yourself I always assume I have the job until I get the rejection letter. I'm not saying be a cocky bastard but a positive attitude and confidence leave a good impression. There is more supply than demand in the game industry so if it comes down to two great artist they will hire the one who's attitude they like the most.

At one studio, when I called the hiring manager he apologized for not getting back to me because they got all tied up with convention plans. He pulled up my resume & portfolio on his computer and we talked about my art. Soon after I was hired.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Bad advice! I always follow up. I typically have a 2 week waiting period but that's because I'm just that casual, man. "This guy seems too interested in working for us" said no hiring manager ever.

As far as being confident in yourself I always assume I have the job until I get the rejection letter. I'm not saying be a cocky bastard but a positive attitude and confidence leave a good impression. There is more supply than demand in the game industry so if it comes down to two great artist they will hire the one who's attitude they like the most.

At one studio, when I called the hiring manager he apologized for not getting back to me because they got all tied up with convention plans. He pulled up my resume & portfolio on his computer and we talked about my art. Soon after I was hired.

Thanks man, this is some great advice. I appreciate it. I guess I'll give it a bit more time and then contact each one and see whats going on if I still haven't heard anything. :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i agree... call them back after a couple of weeks. You don't want your application to be buried in emails. and a courtesy followup email sometimes will help dig that up, or put your name at the top of the pile.

This is how i got into 1p. I emailed them for artist, they said they were at the moment fully staffed but to check with them later since their needs always changed. A month later i emailed them saying hey! i am still around if you are interested. Same day i had a phone interview, couple of days later flew for interview, a month i was already moved and working. So just be polite and like Justin said YOU are the one interested in the job. So make an effort haha. Just don't spam their email with emails.

Best of luck to you.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    These guys got it right. It's hard to do that for a large company like EA or Activision unless you have the contact info for someone at the studio (HR or an artist, etc). It's never a once size fits all situation. But if you can, follow up a week or two later, then maybe a month after that.

Persistence pays off!