Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flintlock Pistol

Nosslak
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
I'm back with a new project. This time a flintlock pistol based on a piece of concept art by Jeremy Love (used with permission).

Here's how it looks right now:
Flintlock_LP_2.png
I took a little creative freedom with it and added some flintlock firing mechanics to it as it already had some other elements from this type of pistols.

Self-critique:
- Need to add some small elements to the left side and redo the bottom of the grip as they're a bit lacking right now (hence I elected not to show them yet).
- There's a baking problem one of the cogwheels and at the flat part beneath the barrel so I'll have to re-bake those.
- I want to push this to the next level so I might need to add some scratches and scuffmarks in either ZBrush or NDo and potentially re-bake the textures.
- The small piece of flint still needs a lot of work as I've barely touched it.
- Still need to add some fingerprints and such to make it look more used.

Critique and comments are as always very welcome and very much appreciated.

Replies

• Arron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! The text is a nice addition.

Personally I think the metal reads more like plastic at the moment, maybe because the specular is quite soft in some areas, especially the top piece near the hammer. Maybe play around with sharpening the specular grunge details/adding more of a colour tint in the spec map? The concept has more grunge & variation between light and dark areas.

Looking forward to see how this turns out. :)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is gorgeous! Feels really solid! Wires would be great :P Good job man!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Great stuff. The engraved areas look too clean though. I would expect some nicks in the edges of the engravings. Also a ton of dirt would collect in those areas. The wood is a bit flat right now. It could use some normal information and so differentiation between areas of wear.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The model looks great. The materials need some work though.

the wood needs more texture/grain, and I'd add a varnish coating. Then you can add scratches and areas where the varnish has peeled away. some ref:
    http://www.myutahccw.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sw-wood-handle-2.jpg http://sparetimeactivities.net/photos/OilVarn04.jpg
    http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/02/07/2664136_01_gun_wood_stock_refinishing_640.jpg

I'd make the metal a bit darker. And it needs more detail in the gloss map.

The color of the brass(?) feels a bit off to me as well.

I've uploaded some reference pictures from my own collection that might help you.
    http://imgur.com/a/qH0Cr
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arron wrote: »
    Looking great! The text is a nice addition.

Personally I think the metal reads more like plastic at the moment, maybe because the specular is quite soft in some areas, especially the top piece near the hammer. Maybe play around with sharpening the specular grunge details/adding more of a colour tint in the spec map? The concept has more grunge & variation between light and dark areas.

Looking forward to see how this turns out. :)
    Thanks! I'll try to add some more grime.

SaferDan wrote: »
    This is gorgeous! Feels really solid! Wires would be great :P Good job man!
    Thanks a lot! Here's the wires for the lowpoly for you:
    Flintlock_LP_2_wires.png
    It's currently sitting at about 7300 triangles but I'm going to make some small additions and potentially smooth out parts of the trigger guard as I got some feedback regarding that.

If you want I can show some wires for the highpoly as well but they're nothing special.
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Great stuff. The engraved areas look too clean though. I would expect some nicks in the edges of the engravings. Also a ton of dirt would collect in those areas. The wood is a bit flat right now. It could use some normal information and so differentiation between areas of wear.
    Thanks for the critique! I do agree and will try to add some more grime in the engravings and push the wooden wear a lot more. I'll try to add some wear on the engravings as well. I made the engravings with displacement maps as that felt faster but I'll definitely take this into ZBrush to push it to the next level.
    komaokc wrote: »
    The model looks great. The materials need some work though.

the wood needs more texture/grain, and I'd add a varnish coating. Then you can add scratches and areas where the varnish has peeled away. some ref:
    http://www.myutahccw.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sw-wood-handle-2.jpg http://sparetimeactivities.net/photos/OilVarn04.jpg
    http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/02/07/2664136_01_gun_wood_stock_refinishing_640.jpg
    I'll push the wood grain a bit more but I don't want the grain to be too rough. I have made the varnish peeled off in some places but I think the transition might be too smooth. I want to make to make the wear on the wood similar to this, but toned down a bit as it's a bit too extreme.
    I'd make the metal a bit darker. And it needs more detail in the gloss map.

The color of the brass(?) feels a bit off to me as well.

I've uploaded some reference pictures from my own collection that might help you.
    http://imgur.com/a/qH0Cr
    I'll try tweaking the metal a bit and add some more detail to it. I think I might've made the brass a bit too desaturated to compensate for the fact that I usually make it way too saturated, but I've fixed that now. Thanks a lot for the critique, man!

I really appreciate all the great critique, it's helping me to improve this a lot!
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some major problems with my internet connection which resulted in total internet blackout for about a week, so that's why I haven't posted anything new for a while. Here's some progress, anyway:
    Flintlock_LP_3.png
    Changes:
    - Remade the wood wear to be more pronounced and sharper
    - Added more dirt
    - Added more detail to the metal
    - Tweaked the metal and rust color to be more realistic

Plans:
    - Rebake the textures with the sculpt after I've finished that.
    - Grime the model up more

I also brought the model into ZBrush to sculpt some additional damage on it, but encountered some problems that I couldn't fix on my own and since I had no internet I couldn't proceed.

1. I want to re-import a part of the model to redo the sculpting but the re-imported part won't match up with the old one in either scale or location. Do anyone have any tips on how to make them match up? Previously Zbrush has asked if I wanted to project details upon re-import and then matched them up automatically but that's not happening now for some reason.

2. For some reason I can't use displacement mapping on a specific part of the model (the plate between the strike-hammer and the trigger). The model is unwrapped and all so I don't know what is causing the issue. I wanted to try to re-import the model and see if that made any difference but ran into the same problem as above again.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The wood and brass are looking better.
    I think all of your materials could use more detailed gloss maps though. I can't see any scratches or base texture on your metals.
    I'd make the glossiness of the wood less uniform. The varnished parts should be fairly glossy. And you could add a layer of smudges/grime on top of the wood.
    Also, your materials are a lot brighter than the concept. Was that intentional?

I have the same problem in zbrush, I solved it by appending a new subtool and importing it onto that, instead of importing on top of the original subtool.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood and brass are looking better.
    I think all of your materials could use more detailed gloss maps though. I can't see any scratches or base texture on your metals.
    Thanks! I think you're right, in that I'll need to some more scratches on the gloss map. I do have some already but they're too weak right now, but I'll fix that. I'll try making the base textures a bit heavier as well.
    I'd make the glossiness of the wood less uniform. The varnished parts should be fairly glossy. And you could add a layer of smudges/grime on top of the wood.
    I'll try cranking up the gloss of the varnish a bit, not too much though as I want the gun to look a bit used. I'll add some more grime and smudges to it as well.
    Also, your materials are a lot brighter than the concept. Was that intentional?
    That wasn't intentional. I'll try making the materials darker to match the concept a bit closer for the next update.
    I have the same problem in zbrush, I solved it by appending a new subtool and importing it onto that, instead of importing on top of the original subtool.
    That solved the problem so thanks a lot for the help!

Thanks for the great critique, again!
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    great little piece
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it, very nice work :thumbup:

Can you show the high poly, please?