Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Paul Presley - 3DArtist

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
whats_true polycounter lvl 15
www.3DPaul.com

I finally got around to updating my portfolio. Been like, 4 years since I last did this. This might as well be a Bioshock Infinite Thread since that's majority of what I have hehe. Been fun working with that team :)

Let me know what you think! Looking for freelance stuff ATM (at least for a few months). Some of this isnt on my web site. I have like waaay to much work but, this is a show and tell, so, why not show you guys :)

10_FirstLady.jpg
21_Whistle.jpg
36_FounderBarge.jpg
DLC1_01_VendingMachine.jpg
High_Siren.jpg
40_RocketCapsule.jpg
High_Bank.jpg
08_Cart2.jpg
DLC2_04_Doors.jpg
DLC2_14_RaptureHomage.jpg
06_Bouy.jpg
22_Conductors.jpg

And one I did between projects. Wokring on another Creature creation. will post wip thread soon :)
Personal_01.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I love the texturing style in Infinite. Do you guys just throw in random colors into your spec maps? That is what it seemed like while I was playing the game, or is there something else going on in the shader?
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    beautiful work Paul. That's a shiny new website if I'm not mistaken as well? Looks great.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    BARDLER wrote: »
    I love the texturing style in Infinite. Do you guys just throw in random colors into your spec maps? That is what it seemed like while I was playing the game, or is there something else going on in the shader?

You need to read the great article by Steve Anichini about Bioshock Infinite's lighting and shader model:

http://solid-angle.blogspot.com/2014/03/bioshock-infinite-lighting.html

The portfolio looks good Paul.
  • pablohotsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    Real nice work. I only played through Infinite once, but it was awesome, and I remember a bunch of those models.

Shame about what happened, etc etc. :/
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BARDLER
    Their was a lot of tech involved in spectacularity. Its part the artist, part tech. I loooooooved the metal shader we were using, though, the draw backs were it needed cube probes like everywhere and it didn't accept lighting information very well*

*technically, thats how metal works, but it was hard for the level guys to be placing the cube probes at the right spot for an entire room. This was a common problem for Rapture were everything was made of marble and metal.

@coots7
    It is! Did it in 3 days -_- I havent worked that hard in over a year, not even in crunch time haha.

Thanks homies!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Great stuff man, really like how sharp those textures look :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Some more random stuff...

I think I like rapture props the most. That was a lot of fun to do. Like, this trash can, it's totally your generic trash can, but, its like, a hint of decoy hehe. Its just a fun style to do :3
    DLC2_12_Garbage.jpg

20_MailBins.jpg

17_Toys.jpg

27_FinkClock.jpg
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Really good work man.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Genuinely really sorry to hear about the closure of Irrational dude, it is no secret how much of a Bioshock fan I am. Fantastic work all round (of course), its crazy how deceptively low res everything is.

Scott.
  • Ignacio_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignacio_G polycounter lvl 7
    Inspirational work.
    I wish I could see some texture sheets. From reading the technical lighting doc on infinite it seems like you guys were using something similar to PBR - no wonder the metal on the game looked so great!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Really awesome stuff! Very inspirational for us aspiring artists, I truly hope to be at this level on day :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff Paul! Portfolio is chock full of kick-ass stuff.

It kind of bugs me seeing a mess of tiny cropped thumbs, always makes it hard to discern what's what. Would rather see larger minimally-cropped thumbs, like 2x or 3x across. Or just a page of art. Like, that AWESOME howitzer gun is hidden behind that tiny thumb.

Also it would help to show flats, wires, and specs (tri count, tex sizes, tex types used).

Resume is great. To the point, no typos, printable PDF or Doc. Though I wish the email link was clickable (mailto: ).
  • RocketBryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    I <3 everything in this thread! I loved the hell outta Bioshock Inf. (just dumped everything in my reference folder) and that Creaturebox model you snuck in there at the end is just pure boney goodness. I love how well those guy's concepts translate into 3D every single time I see someone do it.

Awesome work!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Sooooo effin good. Lots of variety there too. Sorry to hear about the closure, but with that level of work, I don't think you have much to worry about!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work Paul! Great variety and great quality :D
  • CalenBrait
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CalenBrait polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great Paul! You need to post more art up!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Great quality work! I love the textures and the look and feel of your work.
    Great website layout, too. The only thing I could critic is that the images take a moment to load while clicking through the show. That's a little annoying, even if it takes just a few seconds and it's maybe something that's not to good for a portfolio (at least if you're assuming the worst case scenario that the people just have a few seconds to a minute to look at each portfolio, I've heard such stories at university, haha)
    Through your work is pretty convincing I guess.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fenyce
    Yeah, Im trying to get that down. I might talk to a friend who works with web stuff. It was annoying to me, so i dropped the size down and it helped. Still bugs me a little. Will go back into it and rework it :)

@Eric Chadwick
    Mega appreciate that man! Gah, but i reaaaaaly like the look of it hahah. I see what you mean though ") Will fiddle with it tonight. I see your point :)
    Im not to sure if I can show texture stuff. Wire frames are okay cause that's already ingame stuff you can see. Ill post some wires with tri counts after this post of a few props :) Thanks for the feed back. I did have the email a clickable link, but then got a onslot of spam, so, went back to just copy/paste method ")

@scotthomer
    I loove your work! The Rapture homage was great! Thanks homei

@CalenBrait
    Getting on it :P

Thanks guys! Appreciate it :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anywho, I do have a ton more work. Ill see if I'm allowed to post texture flats.I can show some wire frames however! A lot of my work was narrative work, so the tri count tends to be up their. Most of the "big stuff" were hero props (zepplins, whistles, Rapture Homage, Bank Vault), while the more "common" stuff tended to be tighter with tri count budget.

wire_DLC2_04_Doors.jpg
    wire_DLC2_14_RaptureHomage.jpg
    wire_21_Whistle.jpg
    wire_36_FounderBarge.jpg
    wire_39_BankVault.jpg

Few things to note:
    - Not that you don't know this already, but, we deal with Triangls and Verts, not Polygons. That's were our budget lies (this was new to me when I started out at least!) To that...

- Huge objects that covered a lot of screen space and has a cheap tri count was a big plus!. The Zepplin Pillar piece I did (second to last on the bottom), for example, fell into that. Its huge and really cheap (less then a 1,000 tris). Same thing for the Trolly (last image on the bottom). Its less then 2,000 tris and did a great job filling in for cover and screen space.

-We never tried to leave big openings or gaps in the meshes that you can see through. This just allowed the player to shoot AI without the AI noticing him or seeing him. So, for instance, the Trolly piece, the base goes almost all the way to the bottom touching the floor. In some cases, meshes had to be reworked or something added so that you wouldn't be able to shoot underneath a table or cart for instance. This was very design specified, so we had to get creative in some parts to meet that need.

- We atlas'ed a lot of textures. The buildings that Calen did are prime examples of this. We used a 512*2048 texture map (maybe bigger), and atlased a lot of building parts to it. I did this a lot for the zepplins and Barge pieces. So, the Founders Barge mesh, youll notice its cut up a lot, but thats because I'm reusing a lot of texture space to get better resolution out of it. The goal for that was your on this sucker for a long time, its a set pieces, your gona scrutinize it, make it high Res and afordable.

-Maybe 98% of my textures that I imported are 2048*2048 texture sheets respectively. However, they are mipped down considerably depending on size, location, importance, so forth and so forth. I think thats why we got so many compliments from people playing the game with high texture settings, cause everything started at 2048 for us. I can see this being both a plus and a negative, as we had some crazy memory work trying to get the budget down and things in memory. It definatly was a learning process for us, and tbh, the DLC1 and DLC2 did a much better job at managing texture sizes and how to cut corners.

Some more stuff for the heck of it. In-game short really :)

26_PrinterInfinite.jpg
    47_ComStockBlimp.jpg
    46_AirshipEngine.jpg
    45_AishipPillars.jpg
    18_Trolly.jpg
  • mister_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't tell you how disappointing it was to hear about Irrational. I hope you land on your feet, sir.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for all the info. Work looks great!!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    amazing work paul! glad to see you're site updated :)
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Work Paul, inspiring!