Home Technical Talk

Exporting multi/sub object Maya/Sandbox

I have been working with the CGFX shader for Maya + Cryengine. I get quite good results with it in Maya, so I need to test it in Sandbox, next.

I only ever get this mesh to export as a whole (even though the walls are modular). In Sandbox, I can only assign one material at a time, even though in Maya each mesh/module has its own shared material.

It looks liks this:

In Maya:
tavern_maya_zps81cc0739.jpg

And in Sandbox:
tavern_preview_zps30305219.jpg

I want to transfer the material settings for blendmaps etc from Maya, too. A mulit-sub material is created in Sandbox, but I cannot apply it to the different parts of the model. Also, there seems to be no blending. Don't the CGFX materials work with the exporter? Am I not seing something? How do I export this model, so I can apply multiple materials?

The workflow should be: maya: textures with shader cgfx->export->sandbox:load in textures, assign each sub material; however, I fail to do the last part.

Link shader:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1672714&postcount=20

Replies

• e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    create a multi material in maya using the MatEd in the CryTek shelf. It needs to include all the Materials you have applied to the geometry. when you export your building now it should read different submaterials per surface.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did that and I do have a multi-material in Sandbox, as you can see on the screenshot above. However, I can't apply this to the model, as it doesn't recognize the sub-materials. The model will only import as one piece and with one material slot, as it seems.

Here is how I set things up in Maya.
    tavern_maya_export_zps6afed8b1.jpg