Home General Discussion

Zbrush Polypaint for texturing

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Hey all, wasn't sure if this was deserving of its own post, but was interested to ask other ZB users about it. I recently checked out Michael Pavlovich's Eat3D dvd on Zbrush and in a lot of his work he does the main body of texturing within ZBrush using polypaint and spotlight and finally touch ups in PS. I know a lot of people prefer to do the bulk of their work in PS or something more like Mudbox/3DC as they work based on per pixel rather than per poly, but wondered if anyone of you guys prefer texturing in ZBrush and why (or why not?)

I've noticed a few artists on here use it and have been trying it out myself, getting some pretty good results with cavity masking, spotlight, etc. I was also thinking it'd be great if ZBrush had a per pixel painting system, maybe something that will be integrated later on.

EDIT: Got the idea from Michael's character DVD here: http://eat3d.com/zbrush4_character

Also Gav's Outsider texturing video is worth a look, pretty cool workflow :)

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    If I can help it, I always go from Zbrush to 3DC for painting.
    But some assets I do get away with just Zbrush.

I would sell my left kidney if Zbrush's mesh painting aspect was on par with 3DC, I really don't like jumping between programs so much.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I like doing it, when i do anything, i only just started and get some good results, the AO and normal help a lot.
    It is no shortcut really and it depends on what you do with the results, i don't use layers at all and have to make that a habit my stuff might actually look decent then but i get good results with 1, i use the "fading" ability in RGB blends colors together well.
    Mesh just has to be unwrapped before getting to that point so if you got a good base that is unwrapped already your 50% ahead of yourself (especially if you just adding parts to that base) your in a good position to take it easy, though we all know you shouldn't take it easy ever..well i wouldn't.

Never tried Ddo or 3DC, one day maybe, sounds good though so many programs where is the all in 1 already. :(
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really enjoy PP for personal work. I use it quite a bit. I usually take the texture to about 80% or so. Typically I keep it clean and add grunge in PS so I can easily remove it if its too much.

However for studio/professional work I don't think its good to use. The main reason? It's not easy to edit/iterate by yourself or by other people since you're essentially painting on 1 layer.

That said I have tried painting passes on separate layers in ZB and then baking them out separately so I have multiple layers but that is super time consuming and until ZB layers play nicely with PP I don't think its an option (for me).
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    There have been a bunch of times when I've done some basic Polypaint and baked it so I can use it as a starting point for texturing. I mainly use it when I want to get specific color gradients without having to worry about doing it all in Photoshop or something.

I would never even think of attempting to do all my texturing in Zbrush, though. The tools are just too clumsy.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeah, I tend to agree with Swizzle. I will usually use the PP to get a good start on my textures but I can't use them for the full way. I've been trying my hand at DOTA2 items recently and PP doesn't really give me a good idea as far as a final result. I bake down my AO, Cav, and pprT in xNormal for lighting info and that just isn't apparent in the ZBrush window.

If I'm just doing some fun sculpts for the hell of it and don't plan on taking them anywhere else, then of course I use PP but when real time assets are the end goal, it's mainly good for laying out colors and making sure color seams line up.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    i've been using polypaint more and more to start my textures now. seeing the sony santa monica demo at sigraph got me to give polypaint another try. they claim to use polypaint a lot for their textures. about half way through the second sony santa monica video is the polypaint demo. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?180132-RECAP-ZBrush-SIGGRAPH-2013
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Only for heads really and some organic things.
    Even if there's no Zspotlight photo projection, I'll still start a skin/pore base for faces in polypaint, get about 70% then take that to photoshop. tweak colours, AO, add details, facial hair, eyebrows, eyes.

Otherwise its a long way off from competing or comparing with Photoshop. Mudbox is nice for cleaning up seams tho quicker, dig that clone brush.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Nice work there Spitty! Am checking out the vids now. Some other work by Alexander Stepanchikov for his Dredd entry in Comicon (also polypainted) here: http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/62572-Comicon-2014-3D-Stepanchikov-Judge-Dredd-Stand/page3
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Do we know anything about zbrush 5 at this point? I'm tempted to upgrade to a commercial license (current eductional license) but if they plan on charging for v5, I would hate to have to pay twice if this update is coming soon.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I do 95% of my texturing in zbrush PP. I tend to clean it up and composite in Photoshop.

When I am doing one of my attempts at photoreal portraits, for example, I tend to have several duplicate heads in the same ztool. I will paint something like mascara as total black on total white. Then bring that in as a mask into Photoshop and use it to mask out layers in different maps, because mascara for example effects diffuse, specular, gloss, and SSS, and using a mask is the only way to unsure that these elements line up exactly.

I do similar for game res characters. For example I paint all my diffuse onto one model. Then I will paint all my scratches or grime as a mask (black on white ) on another duplicate. This way I can align the grime in my diffuse with the grime in my specular, etc. it also delegates my grime from my base diffuse in my texture, so I can peel back if I need too.sorry if none of that made sense.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a good idea using duplicate sub tools. Essentially what I do with layers. Depending on how many subtools you have that might be more/less of a hassle.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    It's not too bad. For instance for my wife's head I had 5 duplicates at about 8 million each, plus one with hdgeo somewhere around 32 mill. It can slow things down a bit, but really it's not that bad performance wise. The big hit comes from all the textures you bake out. After awhile you have 40-50 4096 or 8192 maps floating around, and that does burn memory.

Each head was used for a specific map type. The hdgeo head was for highest level of detail /baking displacement, and for diffuse. Then separate heads for painting SSS weights, for scatter color, for specular, for gloss, and then the last one I painted masking layers on it for things like makeup, blackheads, pimples, etc.

It allows you to make really fast and accurate changes on the fly for each specific map without trying to awkwardly use photoshop and painting into the flattened unwrapped textures. On zb rush you just make your change, bake it to the texture map, save over the old, and you're ready to re-render.

Of course, a proper layer system would make most of this moot, but it works for now.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I freaking love Poly Paint. I'm actually pretty sad that my polypaint thread never picked up...

maybe give it another go?
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131335

I do about 90% of my texturing work in zbrush. Not much else I can do in photoshop (other than adjustments) that I can't paint out manually just as fast in zbrush. That and no seams is nice.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah polypaint looks nice inside zbrush , but then required a lot of work afterwards in pshop to tidy up.
    I use spotlight for photo heads, but again,not ideal, just a good base to start with
    I am surprised at how little they have provided to work with polypaint, ie no proper blur brush/smudge/layers etc.
    Its all too much hard work at times.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hi Makkon, I'd be interested in your thread getting more exposure as well, would be cool to see more models added, will see if I can help out.

I don't know if a lot of work is required in PS to clean the textures up, guess its how much time you put into the overall polypainting from the start. Another reason I like using this method is trying to get your sculpt as close to the look of your final real time mesh as possible within ZB like materials and micro details, stitches, fabric, etc. Once everything gets to a good enough level, just a case of baking down final textures and a bit of clean up in PS. Personal preference I guess. Its tricky though as my PC is kinda old and rickety, think I need a new rig XD