Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Imperial Fists dread

Nistrum
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
Dread_WIP_001.jpg

Hey guys.
its been a long time since I had the nerve to show my face here... that said a lot has changed and I think its time I posted something new in here. this here is my mid to late stage WIP of the Hi poly model I am working on currently.

there are obviously bits missing or need redoing. but I have reached that stage where I need to get some feedback so I can be sure I'm going in vaguely the right direction. I would also really appreciate it if someone could give me their opinion on the best way to break this up and normal map it? because I can see that being a real pain later on.

other than that I hope you guys stick around and help me though this monster :P

Thanks guys/girls

Nistrum

Replies

• Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow the front page on this site moves fast.

does anyone at least have a link about breaking up complex meshes like this for normal mapping?

i just dont want to imagine the nightmare it would be to try and bake this as single objects :/
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    i think its looking really awesome! I love 40k and deads are AWESOME!!!! looks like your doing a venerable Dreadnought! which are very awesome for surei think its a great start but i feel some shapes are a bit off especially in the middle area the outer square and slanted to much at the top i feel also your weaponry is no correct for this pattern dread you have a power fist looking arm which goes on a contemptor dreadnought.

as for baking from the image you have now it looks like the low poly to be honest. you would take each piece and bake it down one at a time to the low poly.
    so save your low poly on a layer and just start adding details to it and then when you are done bake it down in a program of your choice me personally i prefer to use maya to bake down my maps

but there are soo many cool arms you can put on this thing i am excited to see you make it here is a link to some sweet dreadnought images http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Dreadnoughts?page=1

here is ome links to imperial fists insignia
    http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Home/Search-Results.html

i feel alot of this stuff should be modeled in to the piece

i hope this helps i can not wait to see you kill it :)
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks man.

yeah dont have a mini heart attack, i wouldnt build something like this without ptting all that detail in there. this is the first pass. it has to go into Zbrush yet.
    At the moment im trying to figure out how i want to break him up so i can texture it in any sane way. in an ideal world his arms would be built out and set as a texture/normal sheet of their own. the body would be on another and the legs on a 3rd maybe?

also, i realise now it was a little stupid to past this without the refs.
    my mini is being delivered in the next day or so, so ill be a little more able to post some accurate proportions.

here is the main image i have been working from.

m890268a_99120101083_SMVenDread1_873x627.jpg

important things that need rebuilding:
    Shinpads
    Possibly the blocky torso sections either side of the head. will see about that later.

:D again thanks for the feedback.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    no worries man lol

i think 3 texture sheets is to many, i dont see why you couldnt do it on 2 even 1 sheet.
    from your current post you could keep this as a low res tweak proportions and bring it into zbrush do the magic and bake out AO, spec, cavity and your normal maps and be able ot texture him from there all while keeping him low res, looking great and keeping uving to a min, since you dont need to uv the high res

proportion wise i feel his "toes are to long"
    his shoulder slant to much
    you need to swap his arms out

also note that in your hips you have them pretty close to reference image...but your model is standing on a flat surface where the mini is not

the indentions in your shoulders i feel is to deep
    also the top sections of the las cannon should arc in instead of being a straight line like you have
    i included a image of the ref circling the area i was looking at :)

dread_crit.jpg

I hope this helps

where did you get a dread with a power fist?
    are the stats better than the normal hand thing?
    lol ive just never seen one to be honest and when i tried to find images it seemed very rare hahaha
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dread_WIP_002.jpg

Changed. the reason the arms look the wrong way round was because i flipped them in PS
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    Big fan of 40k stuff, cant wait to see it finished :D
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks man. hope i can get this to look as good as we all hope it will :P
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK model has arived. will now be able to work out how this fits together properly. so this guy might well change quite drastically

will update this evening
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK.. so new update time! managed to get loads more information into this by using the actual model for reference... makes life much less painful.

Detail_01.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok todays update braught to you by yours truly...

started work on the low poly. almost got the upper body done.
    have shipped the parts of the hi done in Zbrush into maya to line it all up. have decided to break him up into 3 parts for the sake of my sanity. upper body lower body and arms.

think i will do 3 texture sheets. broken up in the same way. justified by thinking i will do weapon options and im going to need the extra space for those added attatchments.

Dread_Low_01.jpg