CG - Game Art ! Workflow Difference .

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
Hello guys !

i just want to ask for advices about Game art and CG workflow
so .. i really see that Game Art workflow is just longer than cg one
for cg you can go for Modeling >> Unwraping >> Texturing >> rendering = DONE
but for the Game art you have something added is " LOW POLY model " and baking.
now i'm working on a small prop . and have my hipoly finished
and i just find that low poly making is just so BORING . when i think about low poly and unwraping - baking process i just see a long boring journey !

so my question is :
i hope i can get my self into game art worklow in the future .
i find that game art is so much opened and you can do what you want in the textures and you get AWESOME RESULTS .. you just have to bake - unwrap and then do what you want with the textures because all thing are unwraped and ready. you just have a FREEDOM on your work ( sorry for bad English )
can i really get the same result with the cg workflow ? can i get that freedom ?
because when i'm thinking about unwraping a hipoly model , it's just seem IMPOSSIBLE ... so can i get some really cool details on texturing with cg workflow like in game art ?
any advices about it ?
sorry for long text

thanks you :)

Replies

• unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    In 'CG' as you call it, sometimes there is need too for poly models with displacement maps to speed up animation / render times.

As far as I know, for films you use automatic UV tools more often, than in games. I believe, you can do good enough UVs in Zbrush itself.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Disney (and I think Pixar too) use Ptex.

The advantage is video games still need to catch up with it but for offline rendering it's completely fine.