Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Projection Problem

narticus
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
narticus polycounter lvl 7
So I created a hi poly model in 3ds max, exported as an obj and brought it into zbrush. Following this tutorial: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0QvFYf_Q_E"]How to Model a Sword for Games pt. 1 - YouTube[/ame] I then made a copy of the subtool, dynameshed it, increased the polycount on both copies of the subtool, then projected all. The result is the 2nd image on the bottom. It's such a small part that I can probably smooth out (any tips on which brush to use for that is welcome), but I'd like to know how to create a completely smooth, retopologized mesh to work with in zbrush. I want to add scrapes and dents and such.

Really only my 2nd or 3rd week of using Zbrush so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Thank you.

Image 1. Edges faces visible in Max. Looks clean to me:
bEIUEVF.jpg

Image 2. Object in Zbrush after Dynamesh, subdivide, and project all:
CVMUx63.jpg

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    It might be caused by the projection distance. Have you tried a larger/smaller value for that setting?
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick response, I will give that a try.

But, I guess a more general question would be: Is that the fastest/best way to retopologize my mesh from Max into Zbrush? Just wanted to add tiny dings, some screws, buttons, plates, etc in Zbrush.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Try increasing the resolution slider next to the Dynamesh button. This might keep you from having to project all, especially if you're planning to subdivide it anyway afterward.

But the real question is, if you already have a high poly inside Max, why do you need to Dynamesh it?
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just trying to add all that extra detail and some wear in zbrush without having to model it all manually in max. But at this point, I may do that since this is due tomorrow morning.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    My point is though, you seem to already have a high poly model taken from Max which you can continue to subdivide in ZBrush to add those smaller details. The benefit to keeping your original model is you can skip having to retopologize and go straight to unwrapping/baking texture maps. Using Dynamesh causes you to lose your edge flow, UVs, and subdivisions.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. I will continue without dynameshing and see what happens. Thanks!
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    You can also use the zproject brush to help clean up those small areas. It can be a little tricky when working on the edge so I tend to lower the brush size. I also project through all the subdivision levels not just the last.

If you are dynameshing to equalize the quads and make it easier to sculpt turning up the resolution should hold its shape.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Increasing the dynamesh resolution did it. Thanks!
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely unrelated:

Sometimes after I use the projection master, I end up with a mesh that is kinda light greyed out and completely unusable. Whenever I hold my pen over it I see the rotate icon, and that's all I'm able to do with it. Probably just some stupid key I hit by mistake. Any help?
  • Xolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xolo polycounter lvl 10
    Its masked. Click the Clear button in the masking section of the tools pallette.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Sometimes it isn't a mask, but a problem where it changes the intensity before it goes to pick the tool back up. If this is the case you have to exit edit mode, clear the document, and make sure your RGB and Z intensities are set to 100 before redrawing the tool.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Sometimes it isn't a mask, but a problem where it changes the intensity before it goes to pick the tool back up. If this is the case you have to exit edit mode, clear the document, and make sure your RGB and Z intensities are set to 100 before redrawing the tool.

Wow, thanks for this! So is it just a glitch in zbrush?

I drove myself absolutely bonkers around 4am trying to figure this out. Ended up exporting each subtool individually and working on them each separately. Which worked out in the end, but I wasted more than a couple hours in the process. Really good to know this workaround for any future encounters, so thanks again!