Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lost World Environment [CE3] WiP Thread

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
I want to start on my 1st Main Environment Piece for my Portfolio.
This Piece is Inspired my FarCry 3 & Jurassic Park: The Lost World thus the title, Lost World.

Latest Work:
p8vWtRp.jpg
iExciNK.jpg
U3TDt39.jpg

Reference Board:
MoE3ha7.jpg

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    All you need are some dino-sawyers to pit in there.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've spent the past week just relearning CryEngine and how it operates. It's been over a year since I last used it.

Found a few really interesting Tutorials (that don't involve just using Crysis 2 Assets like 80% of very tutorial on YouTube)

Making Grass
    Parallax Occlusion Mapping
    Creating Realistic Glass

I have another tutorial to go through that evolves World Machine & Sculpting so hopefully that will give a better result then what the Terrain Editor can give.
    How to create a terrain for Cryengine
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!
    Finished the 4 Hour Tutorial on Terrain creation. loved the workflow
    Terrain Texture is done but I'm having some problems with applying any Textures Layers

Quick Breakdown:
    - Sculpted basic forms onto plane in Zbrush
    - Created Nodes & Wizardry in World Machine
    - Exported World Machine Heightmap and fixed Issues in Mudbox (I used Mudbox because I didn't know how to sculpt with Heightmap textures in Zbrush)
    - Exported Textures from both World Machine & Mudbox to Photoshop and compiled them to create Terrain Texture Diffuse

Terrain is about 1.6km end to end

RTK20RA.jpg
    p8vWtRp.jpg
    iemf8X2.jpg
    iExciNK.jpg
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Cool looking terrain! However one thing I would say is that theres no real beaches it seems, everything kinda just dives right into the water and dont have a really natural slope to them for nice beach areas (perhaps its just the angle from the pictures though?)
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thanks for letting me know, i have set out a few areas such as the cove where the slope from beach to water is more natural, but I will go over it again and smooth out the transition for more areas.

Some Areas will have a harder cut where there's more rock and cliff

It's the angle for the most part But work is still needed
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started adding Terrain Materials
    I used my own grass diffuse in combination with a different Normal & Spec from some of CryEngine's Grass Textures seemed to give a better result.
    Fact: For anyone who doesn't know, CryEngine uses 2 different types of Terrain Textures, you have a far away and color information texture (layer texture) and close up detail texture (layer material)

I should use my own Material Textures but I'd just getting a tillable Rock and Sand Texture and generating Normals and Spec from that. So I don't see a need since theres some already provided.
    It is cheating but in the end there will be grass covering most of the texture and I'll be sculpting and placing my own rock assets around so there all basically base textures that might not be seen at all later

mAW2yeX.jpg
    U3TDt39.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Great start, i too am starting a similar projetc but decided to make my own base textures, that will prob be covered up by vegetation and objects, but thought i would give it a go. I am wondering what your settings are as i have created by far away texture and i am about to paint in my various layer materials, such as grass, mud etc. When doing this and painting them it completly destroys my far away colour, looking at yours it has not done this. Any tips on this?

My textures have had a high pass on them as i read that this is what to do, but it still gives results that i am not satisfied with.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit with this, but it seems you have been more successful than i have :)

Great start by the way look forward to seeing the updates.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats fine, were all here to learn after all and I like helping others.
    I'm using a 2048 Diffuse for my layer texture to define my colors.
    To make sure you've done everything in the correct order follow this - Link (Text is faster)
    Also you need to make sure you have your Terrain Texture Tile Resolution at the right size then Generate your Surface Texture.

M8gBWX0.png
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty good so far, only thing I can crit on is that perhaps your grass has to much specular. It looks shiny, and grass isn't really shiny?
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your right. I went back and lowered the spec & changed the diffuse color slightly, not so Lime now. more natural green.
    (Updated Image above for sake of not having 100 images of the same thing)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I kinda get the feeling that the sloping of the terrain is too much, ie the distance from the beach to the top of a mountain is very steep. I might make trees etc look very odd in the future when you start adding vegetation to it, I'd make sure you spend more time making sure the proportions are right as well.

Quickie explaining what I mean:
    terrain_scale_02.jpg
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep that was a concern of mine. I will go over the Terrain and reduce the sloping for the beaches and increase it a bit for the mountains
    Thanks for pointing it out