Home Counter-Strike: GO

jim´s knives

hi ya all :)
i am taking a break from Finishes and went back to work on my knives some more now.

i have everything pretty much prepared but can not quite figure out the material setup.
if you guys could pass on some informations about the exact use and purpose of the individual channels in the _pos, _mask and _exponent material files i would sure much appreciated it!

at any rate, lets start with this Extrema Ratio series, my most ambitious knife project yet.

i prepared four blades in the hope that the set will be added as one knife with selectable style.
the blades are based on the Venom, Doberman, TFDE 19 DG and Golem knives.

eE8VGAA.gif

axmqg1a.gif

A2J9OGD.gif

jUpcol8.gif

here are some raw diffuse samples, let me know what you think!?

QdcM4HV.png

i intend to set all my knives up to support, sticker, finishes and stattrak.
i also have hi-res normal, spec and phong masks prepared.
if i only knew how to organize them :poly127:

1GC6HKP.gif

many thanks :)

Replies

• RVN gorronegro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RVN gorronegro polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, the CS GO decal is a bit... forced?
    But the kinves themselves are very good, specially the stattrak counter, seems a nice alternative to having the number scratched on your knife.
    I'd take the fourth because of it's unique shape.
  • genic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right, i somehow had a feeling that the 4th would go well haha.
    my heart secretly beats for the 2nd :)

thank you, i too am rather fond of the digital stattrak and did try some more things in that direction with my other knives.
    sure hope that youll like them :)
    thanks for your input :thumbup:
  • genic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    speaking of which, i have one more to show today.
    this one is based on Chris Reeve's "The Pacific".
    im much in love with this blade and really had the most fun building it :)

hYTjbql.gif

diffuse and masks are ready to be baked once i got behind the material system.

it got an entirely custom stattrak and i intend to set up finishes and sticker for this knife as well.
    hope you like it!

nwx50ab.png

*testing how the stattrak would look with approximate in-game resolution.

1SScaKI.png
  • RVN gorronegro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RVN gorronegro polycounter lvl 3
    I've decided to show up again, with an idea.
    Since you can make custom stattrak, you should try this kind of digital numbers.
    cutcaster-photo-100562838-digital-numbers-clock.jpg
    I think this kind of numbers fit the "track" and "score" themes pretty well, you should definetly give it a try.
  • genic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, RVN gorronegro thanks for checking back and the nice suggestion :)

yes, i think stattraks are ever so cool and i have the feeling they could/should be taken further.
    i tried several things for my knives and now have three different ones that i use.

vWhtF4m.png

i used my old cellphones and mp3-player as reference for these.

but actually, by now, im thinking that the stattrak display could very well be a style that can be chosen by the player?
    together with the default red one and your digital counter there would already be 5 to pick from.

but beyond that, i do not see a reason why they should even have absolute colors and do not just use tinting on top of a grayscale mask?
    the way i picture it is that the player can buy consumable "colored LEDs" from the market (red, orange, green, blue, ...) and "tint" their stattrack display just like you use a paint can in TF2.

so that, lets say you have a blue finish for your weapon and do not like the default red stattrak, you would have the option to pick one of several digital counter displays and match it with blue back-light.

i think that really would result in some awesome weapons, it would give me more freedom and Valve could sell LEDs, everybody wins!
  • genic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one more fresh from the forge.
    this one is based on the "Good To Go" by BESH.

6Svv169.gif

it too got an entirely custom stattrak and finish durability mask.
    stickers are planed as well.
    hope you like it :)

0ltVZYf.png
  • genic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another quick one based on the "Typhoon" hunting knife by Muela.
    boy, do i enjoy making these :)

efpAnS9.gif

stattrak, sticker, finishes.
    hope you like it :)

PMirK5x.png
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    These are fantastic! I think you might have to play around with some lower texture resolutions - alot of players use low trexture resolution and some of the patterns might not mip map well.

But damn, I love these designs. It's a shame valve isn't accepting custom models into the workshop, but I have a feeling that will change at some point down the line once they become comfortable with CS:GO's workshop integration.