Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help! Sculpting a teenage female model

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mnphear polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys! I would really appreciate if someone could point me to some good references, workflow tutorials and such for modeling a teenage female model like Ellie from Last of us.

I'm not that experienced in sculpting a human body but im willing to learn for this one.

My software of choice is blender and Zbrush.

The character is set in the ww2 time. She is a concentration camp survivor.
My current references are:
yDHQrts.jpg
and
DotpQ5A.jpg

For the clothes.

Any help would be much appreciated, and i will post the progression of the character.

Replies

• Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dude, for a start I deffo wouldn't use a game character as "reference" maybe "inspiration" but definitely not "reference".

I think you should start in blender if you know the package well get a solid base and then move to Zbrush.

Once your more experienced and have more understanding of anatomy then you could move the whole character creation process to Zbrush as it would be much faster and more natural. If you go Zbrush straight away without that knowledge because Zbrush has sooooo many awesome features and naturally is a more fun workflow your attention may sway away from the basics and foundations which is key when creating a realistic character.

So start in blender to really start to understand the human form.

Get some solid character reference photos and go from the do not use a game character as reference and go from there mate.

Looking forward to seeing where you take your proj man.
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe i wrote that wrong, i'm not using these two images for an actual reference as in working from them but rather as a mood board, like small chested, flat girl, and the other for the old like clothes but will maybe switch them a bit when the time for that comes.

Yes im definetly making a basemesh first or adjusting an exsisting base mesh to "teeny" proportions.

At this time i'm just searching for good references of the teen girl body or a spread sheet.

Thank you for the advice and stay tuned :D
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you should post a base mesh model of the girl to see what we are dealing with here...
    I usually make a base mesh of a body and throw down some basic clothing... put it in Photoshop and overpaint it as a concept... and then go from there.
    I made a similar thread like yours ( http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130871 ). I posted the basemesh I was looking clothes references for, but nobody really replied. Well someone posted some pictures of some indian assassins or whatever... witch was weird cause my model had a steampunk/neovictorian theme.
    Here is what I use for references http://www.fineart.sk/ . You just have to find the likeness you need.
    Anyway I think its a great idea, and I would love to see it!
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is what i'm looking for:
    N2MMMHc.jpg
    And i tried something with the base mesh on the wiki, just imported it and adjusted the proportions so it looks like the image, tell me what you think:8Un53Xt.jpg

@ISmokeRodeo: thanks for the tips and the link, but i didnt quite find what i was looking for, or maybe i didnt try hard enough xD But still, much appreciated
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so i did a paintover like ISmokeRodeo suggested :
    kwVpIwE.jpg

So tell me guys what you think!
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is from "Lore", a movie about a teenage girl trying to survive along with her younger siblings during WW2. You may want to research a bit more on it.
    Here she is...
    still-of-saskia-rosendahl-in-lore-(2012)-large-picture.jpg
    20130210L2012C_3.png
    As for the body... if you want to go for a stylized anatomy, go for frail shoulders, thinner waist, small mouth and a bit smaller ears than the one you have on your mesh. Realism is pretty much best done straight from reference. Also consider making her shorter, pale and sickly.
    That's from my point of view, I am sure you already have your own ideas. :D Hope I see some progress soon!
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm definitly going for the realistic look, also thanks for the movie, i'll see if i can get some good refs out of it. And thanks for the suggestions on the figure, i'll be having them in mind :D
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind that body proportions change over time; a child's proportions are markedly different than an adult. Extreme malnutrition while growing also plays a role, often permanently stunting growth.
    m_8117074_anatomy.jpg
    m_9181724_anatomy.jpg
    You should also do some research into images from the holocaust; for some of the survivors, age and even gender were difficult to tell.
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i started sculpting from a basemesh:
    kQ5BGk3
    How can i make the face look younger?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    mnphear wrote: »
    So i started sculpting from a basemesh:
    kQ5BGk3
    How can i make the face look younger?
    kQ5BGk3.jpg

- Copy IMG URL, not page's URL.
    - Change matcat to something easier to see. Gray is good.

Rounder face might help. Lower her cranium. Also that pointy-ish chin. Smaller nose maybe. Short nose. Smooth the crap out of everything after you get the landmarks down O o' Not an expert though :P

young-girl-half-face-13672323.jpg
    b7c6319e3122f051aa6476fd2cddded3.jpg
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern: thank you for the tips and references they were very helpful.

So here is the update: i2872Ti.jpg
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so here is an update, did some hair on her, i'll leave the face for now and focus on the body but will return to it:
    pIoNar8.jpg
    let me know what you think!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Things still feel really lumpy and it's hard to determine the planes of the face given the sculpt.

Work from planar definition to rounder shapes so you can make the facial structures more believable.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I agree that things are a bit lumpy. I also find that it doesn't look like there is much of an underlying skeleton. Maybe you could try sculpting a skull to get a better idea of where the bones lie, and where they protrude on the face.
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JadeEyePanda & Kosh_fotsirk, thank you for adding that, i looked into the planes of the face today and started blocking out a bit am i doing this right?
    O1eJMWM.jpg