Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wildstar-Inspired Character

Hi guys, I'm starting a new project to get my portfolio up to snuff so I'm going to try and model this bad larry right here:

HN3gMnE.jpg

I love the aesthetic that Wildstar has and I tried to mimic that in my own character design. I want to stay within a tri budget of 12,000 and use a 1024 texture space for the character and a 512 for his weapon. I feel like the design will change once I start sculpting, but I want to know what others think before I jump into them 3D apps.

I'm hoping to get some feedback and really push myself to make this a solid portfolio piece!

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Big fan of the art in Wildstar so think its a cool project, think the overall design looks great. Personally I would say you'll get a much more striking result if you pick 2 main colors that complement each other.

Green and orange might work but I'd say go for more of a color you have on the face, so maybe a combination of green and red. Alternatively you could try a blue on the skin to go with the yellowy orange you have as that would also work. Looking forward to more :)

EDIT: That was weird, I refreshed and he went from green to purple :D
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha yeah my bad Torch XD ...purple was my original color scheme, I meant to upload that to start with! I'm glad you're a Wildstar fan too, their art style is freakin' awesome. Thanks for the feedback
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    No probs, I hope you don't mind me messing with it - came up with some other schemes. Excuse shoddy paintover work it was pretty rushed, just to offer some other ideas that might work:

QY4GpHI.jpg

Although the red and purple in the 2nd scheme might be a bit overpowering. The original purple scheme you uploaded looks pretty nice!
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mind at all, those are some cool color schemes. I actually really like the blue and orange, I think it works best out of them all...this is great man thanks! Also, I just realized you're avatar is a chua haha