Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy study

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Epsilonart polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys I'm starting an anatomy study of the female body , I would like some critics please : )
So this where i'm at now
1392047436-anatomy.jpg

Replies

• SergejsK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

Good start.

Take closer look at knee and ankle.
    Also pose, move upper body a bit back, so back of the ear aligns with ankle, and therefore pelvis will also go back a little.
    Also add volume to back side of leg, just above backside of knee.
    I haven't touched arms in overpaint. Take some time and look more closely anatomy images and photographs of body parts from different angles.
    Also studying anatomy drawings helps, there you can see better volume of muscles and shading.
    And sketching by hand is huge - it takes little time, but if you do it frequently than you understand better how everything works.
    What i have overpainted, is just suggestion so take it as guide where to look more closely and try to understand how muscles are connected to skeleton.
  • Epsilonart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SergejsK Thanks for the crit it was very helpful !
    Here is my progress :

1392122075-anatomy-ga2.jpg
  • SergejsK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legs now are a bit better, in knee area as well, but still you should look at skeleton and how exactly muscles are connected and where - also looking at muscle shape can give you understanding where is volume.
    Ankle still needs attention.
    Also look how chest muscles are connected to shoulders - FEMALE_TORSO_CLOSE_UP_V1.jpg

Butt now looks a bit slided down, i wanted to show that it is more smooth form, but still there are different muscles so it's not just round or oval.

Here is good reference for start - female-anatomy-view-front-back-side-35423328.jpg
    You can just overlay with 50% opacity that image on top of your and just compare how it is. Of course proportions and size of torso/legs are different, but that can give some better understanding.

Best is to read books about anatomy and drawing.
    Also you can at the begining just block out shape, trying to understand where different planes are and how they are connected.
    And when you can understand how it is, than add more details, bones, muscle definition and so on.

Also about ear, i meant that you should pull back upper body, not just ear.
    Look at that image i added link to.
    There you can see how she stands- ankle, hip bone, and ear is in one line.
    Even on one leg it will be same - Single%20Leg%20calf%20raises1.jpg

This site has some good reference with muscles shown over photographs and sculptures. - http://anatomy4sculptors.com/

Also if you are serious about modeling and learning human anatomy, it's better to find some drawing and/or sculpting classes in your town, and go there, good teacher in real life can help you quicker understand it.
    But online still there is ton of good information on that topic.

I know, it can look quite complex, but with time you will see it more clearly.
    I sarted with drawing and painting first, and than i went digital sculpting, but what i've learned from drawing helps me sculpting.

Keep up good work, and after more practice it will be better and better.
  • Epsilonart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks again for the critic ,learned a lot from it , here is my late reply i'm still working on it and this is where i'm at now.

1393356203-az.jpg

still a lot to do!