Home General Discussion

Noob question about game props...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Just wanted to clarify some things...

Is there a rule for how "low poly" game props need to be? Under a certain amount? Is it more like use your best judgement?

Ive seen tutorials that use the PSD Network workflow in Maya and use XNormal for normal maps. I've also seen tutorials that just build textures in photoshop then make normal, spec, etc. using nDo2. Im going to assume this is preference, but which is the most common workflow?

What about poly painting in Zbrush? When is that used?

It seems to me I can just literally build a low poly prop, make my diffuse map and then generate spec/normal maps and be done. Is this the case? Is there more to it than that?

Im just getting overwhelmed with all these different tutorials and want to make sure Im doing the correct, most common way.

Thanks for your time

Replies

• Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    A rule of thumb I tend to follow is if its an organic prop, you should make a high poly in a sculpting program and props that are more mechanical you should be modeling a high poly using subdivision modeling in your 3D program. I've never used nDo so I can't attest to much about it but I do see quite a lot of people using it for environment stuff such as tiling textures.

Poly count is arbitrary if you're just making a portfolio piece. But you should not be making something 100k tris if you can get away with 20k with no noticeable difference. Efficient poly flow is something you'll learn as you progress. In a studio setting you'll be given a limit to adhere to though.

A lot of it comes down to preference but people change workflows to be more efficient. And even different props can have different workflows it just depends what you make.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Personally, I do a high poly for just about everything and run 99% of my stuff through Zbrush. I'm proficient with nDo2, but only use it as detailing tool for a good baked map.

But it's a very broad question, and there are many many workflows out there. I would pick whichever makes your work look the most awesome.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Great - thanks for the replies. I guess you're right, depends on the object thats being made. I think Ill stick to the normal base low poly mesh/photoshop/ndo2 workflow to see how that goes.

One more question...and this is another total noob question, but I was looking at the Contests and Challenges section and the MINI-GOLF contest is extremely awesome. Wish I was in position to give it a go. But my question is, how are people getting that pixelated texture? I see their low poly objects, but they look to have pixelated texture maps on them. Is this done on purpose or how is this done?
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    mobkon wrote: »
    One more question...and this is another total noob question, but I was looking at the Contests and Challenges section and the MINI-GOLF contest is extremely awesome. Wish I was in position to give it a go. But my question is, how are people getting that pixelated texture? I see their low poly objects, but they look to have pixelated texture maps on them. Is this done on purpose or how is this done?

Bump cause I would like to know too. If anybody has an answer... :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon wrote: »
    ... how are people getting that pixelated texture? I see their low poly objects, but they look to have pixelated texture maps on them. Is this done on purpose or how is this done?

Yes it's on purpose. The pixels are large, and unfiltered. It's an old-school method, from back when hardware wasn't fast enough to smooth thimgs out. You can disable texture filtering to get this look.