Home General Discussion

Scanner recommendations?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
Looking to buy a scanner, $100-$150, mostly for pencil work @ A4 size. Sensitivity to soft-values required.
Any particular models or general companies recommended?

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I have this scanner, which looks to have been replaced by this other scanner.

I love it, year or two ago I was looking for basically what you're looking for, an affordable scanner for pencil sketches. Things I was looking for included a lack of warm-up time and a height-hinge thing on the bed cover, so that you could stick a book in there if you needed to without having to leave the door at an awkward open angle. I wound up doing some research back then about CIS vs CCD scanners, different lamp types, etc. And while I have absolutely no memory of what I learned, I wound up choosing my scanner based on whatever I found.

I am very pleased with it and if it ever dies I'll be looking to buy another one. I ordered directly from EPSON's website.

Nearly all of my sketches are done with a cheap plastic mechanical pencil, very light lines, and I've never had any issues with anything being picked up. If for some reason you want some full sized scans straight from the scanner to see if it's the sort of results you're looking for, it won't take but a couple minutes to scan & upload.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will second the Epson Perfection scanner. I used alot of Epson projects at a print shop I used to work at. Big fan of all their items.

I have an old one, maybe 8 years(antique), and it still scans like a boss. I got it refurbed from Epson for $90 I think. Been through 8-9 moves and had all sorts of stuff dropped on it and it still works fine.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Tnx guyz, I'll go with the v37