Home General Discussion

Internship pay?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Francois_K interpolator
Hello everyone,

I'll be done with Uni in September and am thrown into the real world of hard labour , in 3d.

At this moment I do not really care in which country I land to get a job , moving is not an issue for me. Two large suitcases and my entire room is cleared. The issue or rather question that bothers me is the entry-level pay. Is it worth it? How much is the average pay of an intern in the industry for a 3d artist ( 3d character artist). Can you live on it in say Canada/ USA? Or is it a too risky journey. Or would it be better to work ones way up at your local 3d place and work yourself up to the big-shots.

Would be interested in what you guys have to say or share experiences about this.

Replies

• Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Can you be hired as an intern? I thought that internship is reserved for students, as the pay they give is usually to low for a full time employee and would count as being underpaid ( but that's where I come from it's in the law somewhere) should you just be looking for junior 3D artist jobs?

correct if i'm wrong cus thats how I heard it.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Stinkfoot wrote: »
    Can you be hired as an intern? I thought that internship is reserved for students, as the pay they give is usually to low for a full time employee and would count as being underpaid ( but that's where I come from it's in the law somewhere) should you just be looking for junior 3D artist jobs?

correct if i'm wrong cus thats how I heard it.

No I think you are right there stinkfoot, he should have a assembled port be polishing it and be looking for junior positions and contacts at this point in the game.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I am completely dumb when it comes to this subject , but aren't internships the starting positions in the CG industry?
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    No, an internship is a learning experience. As a student you work at a company for something like 6 months. The point is to an insight on what it's like to work at an actual company. Interns sometimes do get paid but it's usually a lot less than a full time job.

What you are thinking of is just called entry level or junior position or something like that.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Aaaaaaaaaaah. Okay, I feel a bit silly now but thanks for enlightening me. We were taught here that the entry-level for the CG business is an internship.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Over here in Germany, it's not unheard of to work as an intern before any possible first entry-level contract. As for pay, well.. it's usually not a lot ;-)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    A lot of people will work as Interns after graduating in Europe. My one major piece of advice is not to accept any internship that does not offer pay, or offers less pay than minimum wage.

Internships are not entry level positions. Entry level positions (which as a degree holder you can happily apply for) would be advertised as junior or graduate positions.