Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP of a cartoony female. Need an anatomy check for base mesh model

Yeah so at the moment I've just created this kind of cartoony female purely in maya, which is my second try at modeling a humanoid figure. Some major things I haven't worked out yet is detailing the scapula area, and the stomach area. However I'm planning to do that, and other detailing in zbrush. I'm going to redo the face as well, before that.
For now I want to know if any proportions look strange or unappealing in any way before I bring it into zbrush. Or if the topology just sucks in areas.
Some things that concern me at the moment is the messy topology of the sternocleidomastoid, and I was wondering if that part is ok or if it should be fixed.
My workflow will be basically going back and forth between maya and zbrush, making major topology changes in maya when necessary. C&C welcome of course! I'll just assume all is well if I get no replies lol

k1TWsxJ.png

3jjiujD.png

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Her back is a bit flat, I always look at a ribcage as egg-shaped, it helps model out the chest and back.

inconsequential, but her nipples appear to be a bit too far forward. Truth be told, millions of women have anatomy like that, but its not considered ideal.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Overall very soft features. I am guessing this is your goal? I think where the bicep inserts into the armpit might be a little wonky. Overall proportions seem like maybe a younger girl. Quads are great for zbrush by th way so unless you have already uvs I wouldn't worry too much
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tips guys.

@kazeohin
    definately will work on making her back less flat in zbrush, and ill see what i can do about the ribcage. a bra or some clothing will cover her nipple in the end, but ill look into it for perfections sake.

@dimfist
    as for the soft features, it was semi intentional since ill be attempting to detail them in zbrush. but ill have to strike a balance to not detail it tooo much, to try to keep it feminine and appealing. and yeah i was going for the young girl look. but hopefully not too young, was really aiming for getting a 15-17 year old.
    the bicept intersection kinda bothers me too actually, now that i look at it. ill have to remedy that, thanks.
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I know the title asked for an anatomy check, but right now I just redid the face and I'm feeling stuck on it. Haven't touched the body much since the last post. As for reference, I've kind of deviated entirely from the original, now only using a bunch of different reference materials as inspiration. Probably not the best thing to do since I'm a beginner, but I'm making an attempt to be original.

I'm aiming for this to be an asian athletic 15-17 year old girl, with some cartoony or anime touch to it.
    Does any of the features look incorrect, perhaps too bland at the moment, or maybe too flat? any C&C is welcome.

I left the shader as a blinn material since imperfections seem to pop out more with the specularity.

If I get no replies, I'll just move on I guess. thanks!

vKprUBY.png

WtvSydq.png
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Take a look at the facial forms again, the front plane of the face is very flat right now. Try and round out the transition between the front and side planes of the face, from a 3/4 view the transition looks very sharp. Hope that makes sense, nice going so far :)
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, just an update. So I attempted to fix some problems that were mentioned earlier in zbrush.
    I tried to fix the armpit/bicep/deltoid intersection, brought in the sternocladomastoid and clavacle a bit closer, tried to define the torso area, and worked on the scapula.

I'm still trying to figure out the torso area, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not. I'm basically feeling kind of stuck.

@Torch thanks, I'll see what I can do about that. Haven't had time to fix the face yet.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do about zbrush smoothing out some of the details of the face when I import it over from maya.

C&C welcome, and paintovers extremely welcome.

I'm not sure at what angles I should take a snapshot of so I just recorded me rotating around my model. There is HD on it for a closer look.

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SsYPywIh_Y&"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SsYPywIh_Y&[/ame]

I'm also trying to make it similar in style to this persons model: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=351779
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn haha already bumped to the third page? tough to get help here. or maybe i'm approaching average joe level on the polycount reply-o-meter.

anyway here's some progress. Not sure if on right path. I feel a little funny about the side view. And torso + butt area. Kind of still figuring out what features should be more defined or more subtle.
    once again, I'm aiming for an appealing 16 year old athletic asian. any C&C is welcome!

5kXcHTm.png
    OQ3yBb5.png
    mLq1EuX.png
    XgySOqo.png
    IoXCe5I.png