Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Perfection vs Good Enough

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
I was wondering how do figure out when something is good enough? I tend to strive for perfection when it comes to any graphic design related project, especially when the project is personal. While I don't consider this bad in and of itself I tend to get stuck striving for something that I like 100% and often than not I either take forever to complete a project or the project is never completed.

• Does striving for perfection ever slow or stop you?

• How do you keep yourself from getting stuck on projects?

• How do you tell yourself, "This is good enough, you need to move onto the next step", and then actually follow through?

Just looking for examples of how other people deal with such situations. Thanks!

Woops, meant to post this in general discussion.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I believe setting a reasonable time limit on a project will help on all counts. That way you won't be stuck sculpting or adding details when you should be making lowpoly/baking stuff and all.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Its a hard one to study. While its good to have something that looks amazing there's no point spending months on it. I tend to Limit myself to what I'd expect employers would want it done in. Perfection is good but having a deadline is Important to.

Example: You have 1 Perfect looking Environment that took you 4 months to create. that's great! but creating say...3 or 4 good enough Environments means you get to practice more on your time management, what you can get done under pressure & you'll become faster by doing this.

In short your better of in the long run by limiting your time. by doing 4 environments in 4 months instead of say 1 in 4 months you might find that 4 month piece would only take you half the time.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little bit
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    In my experience, as a hobyist: iteration times are important. Your skill level is going to improve project-to-project more drastically than through a single project. You are going to have a much better result on your next project by starting fresh with new experience than sitting and trying to perfect your current project.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    This PeterK guy wrote an article, you should read his it, it's pertinent: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/PeterKojesta/20101101/88371/Get_your_ego_out_of_my_art.php
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Dan Ariely an awesome "professor of psychology and behavioral economics" has done an experiment which I 'm a bit too lazy to search for a link, but the general idea is:
    For two groups of people they assigned two different approaches to a task, since I can't remember what exactly they were making I 'll say a face :P.
    1st group make as many faces as you can in x hours.
    2nd group make one, but perfect face in x hours.
    The result is the 2nd group kept planning out and thinking over and over how would they make their face perfect, while the 1st group just jumped in and started making as many as they could.
    Finally the quality of the 1st group was by far superior to the 2nd because they had learned through practicing many different methods and approaches.
    I think this applies here as well and it's a safe tactic to follow.

edit: I was wrong, the experiment wasn't carried by Dan, although he is still awesome and worth watching his stuff.
    It was narrated in this course if anyone is interested. :)
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    PeterK wrote: »
    This PeterK guy wrote an article, you should read his it, it's pertinent: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/PeterKojesta/20101101/88371/Get_your_ego_out_of_my_art.php

Agree with this :)

You can be a perfectionist at home but at work mostly get the job done well to a high degree professional level, but you have to move on quickly.

Even on personal projects I have some kind of limit. I rather keep moving forward and not have perfect stuff than have very little technical skill on other stuff. I tend to be more a tinker than a hardcore perfectionist artist though. I like to tinker find quicker ways interesting ways to get results.