Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fast Attach Vehicle Texturing (Borderlands Style)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
The last weeks were a little bit hard for me. I looked for some work which will help me to harness my skills further but unfortunately there are not many open trainee or internship positions in this area in Europe, so I lost a little bit faith in my dreams.

Neitherless thanks to my girlfriend who supports me a lot I decided to go on and live my dream, even if the road to it will be rough.

I decided to use the first half of the year to polish my portfolio. I think I already have a lot of good models in my portfolio, the only thing which is missing are the textures, so I will do this.

The first model I want bring to the level it deserves is my Fast-Attack-Vehicle. I really like the forms of this vehicle and I decided to go with a Borderlands-Style here.

During the last two days I laid out the UV Maps (Edit: changed picture for an actual Viewport shot) and I will start texturing it the next days.

inmax_shot_by_dethling-d73zafv.jpg

My plan is to keep it low poly and add most of the details by hand (aka with ndo2).

UVs so far

uv_map_by_dethling-d73zan6.jpg

I know I could use the UV Space much better. This is only the first itteration of it. I try to keep the Objects (Body, Tires, Canon) together, so I can easily re-use this part of the texture for other models.

Replies

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After checking the model I decided to pimp up the details and create a high poly version of it.

Here are the shots of the first high poly parts:

Front_HP.jpg

I tried went a little more detailed and military style.
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Looking nice, I like the design and think it'll fit BL very well. I've not worked enough with normal maps enough yet to be an authority on the subject, but I think you may be making your highpoly a bit too sharp on the edges, might need a bit more rounding off.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valid point with the edges, I will test and adept it.

So far I finished the redesign of the turret:
    Turret_HP.jpg
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the first test texture with dDo for the canon itself today:
    screen01.png

I will add some srews or levels on the rear part, so it's a removable panel. Also have to update the Hyperion-Logo.
    The pistons should be round, but due to some baking issues they now appear cornerd.. which I like :)