Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M1918 BAR

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
Hi there!

Here the high poly for the BAR I'm working on for an Arma 3 mod!

Now, low poly etc :)

HIGH_02_zps1f150fa9.jpg

HIGH_01_zps4a094705.jpg

SIGHTS_zps37ff653b.jpg

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Ughhhhhh :( The compression man. The compression ;(

Try Cubeupload.com. Free, simple, No compression.

Otherwise, Looks nice. I don't know the weapon personally so I can't gauge accuracy, But the modeling looks good. Edges seem consistent per material, nice and thick. The stock might be a little boxy. And has weird kink in the middle of it. Again, not knowing the weapon I could be wrong.

Good stuff. Next stop, Rippzzz :thumbup:
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha , I just tried photobucket for the first time, maybe I'll not use it anymore , thanks for the advice :)

You are right for the stock , I just checked, there is a little "bug" in its middle. I'll correct it !

Thanks for the feedback :D
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need help please :(

I'm on the low poly right now, annnnd it turned out a little higher I thought...

14349! I still have to optimize parts here and there (mostly the mag , as you can see) But I haven't done the small bevel on the sights for FPS view yet. So I'll kill some tris just to gain them again.

I don't want to loose a good silhouette in FPS view , but maybe I'm doing something wrong here!

Any suggestion? :D
    BARWIRE.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Id cut a load of polys in the front cylinders, the silouette will still be good, also if your working on this thinking in fps view id cut some more polys at the back of it
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answer :)

I'll try that ! I think I focus too much on it when I view it FPS style. In the game, I don't think people will look at it the same way haha!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    well it looks like most of your polys are going to the barrels, I would optomise those in terms of camera priority, so i don't think the lower barrel needs as many sides as the upper, and the legs of the bipod i imagine should be lower still. Personally, I'd rather have less tris on the barrels and further away accessories like the bipod and barrels, and spend more chamfering more stuff on the receiver to make the normal map look better when you're baking, in my limited experience, if you want to keep the same smoothing group over something boxy like the receiver, you need lot of support edges.

nice model btw, i'm sure it'll look great in marmo 2!
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butt stock still looks weird, don't know why.

It always important to keep more higher sided cylinder at the back of the weapon where the player can see the details, the barrel itself itself can be 8 -10 sides, no matter what. Please keep in mind that are a few BAR license productions out there from Belgium and Poland and whatever, which really looks nearly identical, only take attention to the weapon itself you want to reproduce.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "so i don't think the lower barrel needs as many sides as the upper" Good point I think!

I'll use both your feedback and try to optimize it more.

Colditz : Weird ? The shape? *Edit: Huuum maybe I see what you mean. I'll tweak it too.

Oh yes, I have done some research, and I have a lot of references, but I'll not be surprised if some parts are not supposed to be on the same version.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    About photobucket, it seems like you copied the first image for the post. You need to first press the + sign in photobucket and the when the image comes as an overlay you press the + sign again to show original image that is better quality.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again, you took the time to answer me , so I'll show you the result!

I talked with another artist on this mod, and it turned out that the bipod and carry handle will be used as accessories, not as a part of the basic rifle.

They will have another map for them two. (If I see that they can fit without problem on the BAR texture, I'll do it ofc)

Knowing that, I think that lowering the polycount for the sake of it, is a little pointless.

I have deleted face under the barrel (inside the handguard) , add bevels where the player will have his face , tweaks other parts etc...

As you can see on the screenshot (blue lines) When the barrel meets the cylinder mount, a too low cylinder is very obvious and a bit ugly.

Since the BAR have a big barrel compared to the M1 carbine etc, I don't want to give up on this and destroy the silhouette.

I have just lowered the side on the gas tube under the barrel.

Thanks everyone :)

tris.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking promising

Well the belt handles are kinda high in proportion with the rest and barely seen, for a portfolio piece i would totally leave as is, but for Arma3 Im not sure.
    Its not like 1-2k will change anything on your performance anyways but whats the count on their weapons ?
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the late answer Shrike!

For exemple , the M1 carbine in the project is +8000tris.

With bevels on the sight , and some ajustements during the bake process I'm at 10504 tris (with ammo inside the mag).

Speaking of the bake, here the first renders with a quick material blockout. 2 or 3 pieces have bugs on the normal, just a couple of minutes and it'll be fixed :)

BAKE01.jpg
    BAKE03.jpg
    BAKE02.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have a lot of time during these holiday :( But little update still!

WIPTXT02.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Annnd after struggling with my computer, It's finally done :poly117:

I tried to stay in a Arma like style (on the clean side), but keeping some points of interest in the texture (scratches, normal map on the surface..)

The BAR's texture is 2048*2048. Bipod and carry handle are on the same 1024*1024. (Diffuse, specular , gloss , normal )

PCBAR06.png
    PCBAR07.png
    PCBAR01.png
    PCBAR03.png
    PCBAR02.png
    PCBAR05.png
    PCBAR04.png
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broken links for me :(
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah? o_o I tried on another computer and asked a friend and on both images are showing!
  • Perzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perzik polycounter lvl 5
    Looks very nice ! Love the wooden parts ! Can't wait to see your next asset! :D
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :( WOODEN PARTS!!! BLAHGHGHGHG!!!! WHY AM I MISSING THIS!!!
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Stockwell : Link to the cubeupload gallery for you : http://cubeupload.com/codes/833c39
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, it's probably a fire wall issue or something here on this machine. I'll check again when I get home. Thanks though,

i'll make sure to give you a cookie when i see it.
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhh yeah, dat bake <3

and here is your cookie as promised. Nice work!

tumblr_static_chocolate_chip_cookies.jpeg
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    It came out very nice! Great job man.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :D And thank for the cookie!, I love cookies!
  • cR45h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    That main metal part looks a bit too flat. Maybe try your hand at some subtle details to break the monotony. Possibly some oil stains. That would fit the gun nicely imo. :)
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    ^i'd agree, some oil stains, maybe a finger print or two. and maybe some more subtle scratches.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! :D

I'll try what you guys said!
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice model and textures..My favorite ww2 weapon. Materials are reading very well
  • Anthony817
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony817 null
    Hello, I wanted to know if it was possible if I could please use your B.A.R. m1918a2 in a Battlefield 2 mod I am working on called Battlefield 1944, where I am recreating a modern take on the 2002 Battlefield 1942 game in HD. This weapon is really beautiful quality. We already have a tank that is 60k polygons, but you seem to have a very well optimized weapon model for the engine.

You can find my project here, although it is still in the early stages and I didn't post a lot of pictures yet, I am making lots of progress in a very short time.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-1944

I also have a Korean War mod you can check out here, all the updates going into this new WW2 mod will be brought over to that mod as well eventually.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-korea