Home General Discussion

Bioshock Infinite

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Francois_K interpolator
I just finished Bioshock Infinite and I gotta say only 'wow'

Great game , great story and the ending is a mindfuck. Of course I couldn't stop and look at all the models and characters , and one thing I noticed that at the start of the game they re-used a lot of the same models. Which I found odd.

Either way , are there any other games like this? With such a great story?

I don't usually play games so I don't really know a whole lot.

I only own a PC though.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I was literally speechless at the end of Metro: Last Light. It really, really helps to play the original (Metro 2033), and even more if you've played similar games set in the former Warsaw Pact like the STALKER series (basically, if you have some basic familiarity with the nuances and little details of everyday life in that region).

Amazing game.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Bioshock 1 & 2 obviously (if you haven't already played them)
    Dishonored (to a lesser degree, but still a cool game)
    Gone Home
    Stanley Parable
    Dear Esther

Fortunately there is a push to create more narrative video game experiences that can challenge the mind of an educated adult. I'm hoping to see a lot more going forward.

all great games, I found the stanley parable especially interesting, all that game had was narrative essentially
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Beyond Good and Evil. It was the first game that actually made me say "oh no!" out loud as me and the main character both realized something at the same time.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Tomb Raider
    Bioshock 1
    ...just off the top of my head.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Gone Home and Bioshock Infinite have a lot in common, both start off with the pretense of something completely different and then fail to deliver. For bioshock infinite, its the role Songbird plays... its overly used in all its marketing but really it was just a blip on the radar with little to no real purpose.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    +1 for Gone Home.

I've also heard great things about Kentucky Route Zero but haven't played it myself. It's episodic like The Walking Dead however, and hasn't been completed yet.

Dear Esther is one of my favorites, but while the story isn't quite as strong as Gone Home, the art is amazing.
    Fortunately there is a push to create more narrative video game experiences that can challenge the mind of an educated adult. I'm hoping to see a lot more going forward.

Right there with you. Considering how well The Last of Us, Bioshock and Gone Home did in 2013, things look pretty good.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    System Shock 2
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Few games have managed to interest me as much as Bioshock:Infinite. Personally, I played the PS3 leak a week before the game came out, after playing for about an hour I decided to call my boss and tell him that I'd be taking the next day off and I proceeded to finish the entire game in a single 11 hour sitting. After seeing the ending, I was completely shocked at what had happened and decided the only logical thing to do was sign onto Steam and pre-order the game, along with the Season pass.

The DLC was unfortunately nowhere near as enjoyable as the main game in my opinion, I haven't even finished it yet to be honest. As for games that have been just as amazing as Bioshock:Infinite (if not better), some of the above games were pretty good in my opinion.

The only game that shocked me as much as Bioshock:Infinite that I can think of at the moment is Persona 4. It's not a FPS but it is definitely the best RPG I've ever played, by far. If you have a PS Vita then I strongly suggest buying Persona 4:Golden as it's a remake of the original Persona 4 with some nice updates and extra content. If you don't have a PS Vita and only have a PC as you said, then I suggest downloading pcsx2 and an iso of Persona 4 (and buy a disc copy if you enjoyed it!).

Much like Bioshock:Infinite, it's a hit or miss kind of game. If you enjoy the story early on and like the characters, then it will be a very memorable and enjoyable experience, but if you can't get into it or hate the characters, then chances are you won't really like the game.

In terms of gameplay, it combines dungeon crawling with a social simulator. You play as a highschool student and have one year to solve a murder mystery or else the world will end. You can achieve this by entering a world that exists within TV's. It gets pretty ridiculous in terms of fiction but the developers did an excellent job at controlling the player's emotions (if you care about the characters that is.) If they want you to cry, it'll happen, if they want you to smile, it'll happen.

If you do decide to give it a shot, then I suggest being cautious if watching youtube videos or googling about the game because people love to spoil the story and personally I had the crazy ending spoiled for me through a related thread name on GameFAQs.

Good luck picking a game!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Telltales walking dead and wolf among us are pretty awesome too :) Remember me was really good aswell, with a sweet art style.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    From what I've gathered ...Gone Home you play in a girls house and you find out things about yourself / that girl?

Stanley Parable looks pretty interesting I gotta say , I already own Metro 2033 but I haven't really had time to play it yet , but I'll put it on my list. I've seen a stream of Dishonored and thanks for reminding me about Remember Me , saw some sick artwork on cghub and thought wow that's really cool.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Man, I don't get all this love for Infinite. Sure it looked great, but it was just boring and badly designed gameplay wise. I actually quit and never started it up again when I had to redo the fight with the ghost for the umpteenth time. Storywise that boss also made no sense to me, just felt really lame. Bioshock 1 was miles ahead of Infinite in almost every area.

I'll actually vouch for the STALKER games. Those are hands down the best FPS games there are in terms of immersion. They're rough and unpolished often and don't look great, but the feeling of exploration and mystery is unbeaten. Not to mention the fantastic plot twist and cool alternate endings of the first one! Lots of mods that expand the experience too.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The ending of Infinite is what makes it - but yeah, as a game it's not that great and some parts of it are quite badly put together.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    +1 for STALKER, i dare anyone to venture into the first lab without brown trousers on....
  • DanBe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Last of us" has an amazing jaw-dropping story. Best game i have ever played in that regards.

"Borderlands 2" has amazing character development and is really really funny scripting, enjoying it right now and my first game where I laugh out loud every couple of minutes.

Not sure if they have PC versions though...
  • megazordprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Few games have managed to interest me as much as Bioshock:Infinite. Personally, I played the PS3 leak a week before the game came out, after playing for about an hour I decided to call my boss and tell him that I'd be taking the next day off and I proceeded to finish the entire game in a single 11 hour sitting. After seeing the ending, I was completely shocked at what had happened and decided the only logical thing to do was sign onto Steam and pre-order the game, along with the Season pass.

The DLC was unfortunately nowhere near as enjoyable as the main game in my opinion, I haven't even finished it yet to be honest. As for games that have been just as amazing as Bioshock:Infinite (if not better), some of the above games were pretty good in my opinion.

The only game that shocked me as much as Bioshock:Infinite that I can think of at the moment is Persona 4. It's not a FPS but it is definitely the best RPG I've ever played, by far. If you have a PS Vita then I strongly suggest buying Persona 4:Golden as it's a remake of the original Persona 4 with some nice updates and extra content. If you don't have a PS Vita and only have a PC as you said, then I suggest downloading pcsx2 and an iso of Persona 4 (and buy a disc copy if you enjoyed it!).

Much like Bioshock:Infinite, it's a hit or miss kind of game. If you enjoy the story early on and like the characters, then it will be a very memorable and enjoyable experience, but if you can't get into it or hate the characters, then chances are you won't really like the game.

In terms of gameplay, it combines dungeon crawling with a social simulator. You play as a highschool student and have one year to solve a murder mystery or else the world will end. You can achieve this by entering a world that exists within TV's. It gets pretty ridiculous in terms of fiction but the developers did an excellent job at controlling the player's emotions (if you care about the characters that is.) If they want you to cry, it'll happen, if they want you to smile, it'll happen.

If you do decide to give it a shot, then I suggest being cautious if watching youtube videos or googling about the game because people love to spoil the story and personally I had the crazy ending spoiled for me through a related thread name on GameFAQs.

Good luck picking a game!

I can vouch for Persona 4. I played this game last summer and it was an amazing experience. Its excellent for newcomers for the series and it has a stunning soundtrack by the amazing Shoji Meguro. The characters are fun and the battle system and dungeon crawling are addictive yet challenging. The social simulation in this game is pretty amazing too because it can teach you time management since you can only do so much in one day and the story can make to appreciate the true value of friendship. If JRPGs are your thing, I highly recommend it.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Man, I don't get all this love for Infinite. Sure it looked great, but it was just boring and badly designed gameplay wise. I actually quit and never started it up again when I had to redo the fight with the ghost for the umpteenth time. Storywise that boss also made no sense to me, just felt really lame. Bioshock 1 was miles ahead of Infinite in almost every area.

thats an interesting contrast from my experience. while i wouldnt say its hands down the greatest game ever.. it is the only game ive ever beaten in a single session. from the moment i started it i couldnt put down the controller until it was done. and yet i havent even beaten bioshock 1 or 2. :P
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the love for the game comes through people's connections to the characters. I call it a "hit or miss" game for this exact reason. As a "game" it isn't that great. There are very few types of enemies that get constantly repeated. Combat is bland and you can play through the entire game on the hardest setting without even using all of your abilities. The weapons aren't balanced and there are clearly weapons that surpass all others in terms of use making most of the guns in the game pointless.

If you're the type of person that can build a bond with the set of characters however, then it will feel like one of the most incredible experiences ever simply because of all the twists and turns that take place during the story. It's the same case with games like Heavy Rain, Beyond:Two Souls, and The Last of Us as well. Decent/Bad gameplay with well written plots.

Many people hate these kinds of games though, as some could argue that these types of games would be better as movies rather than games, but personally I think that these kinds of connections we can make with these fictional characters are only achievable due to the fact that games tend to be longer than movies. Would it be possible to bond with Booker and Elizabeth if we only saw them for 2 hours rather than 12?

I named Persona 4 in an earlier post as a recommendation to the OP and it's another perfect example. In the game, you'll generally spend between 50-80 hours with the characters and by the end of the game, they will actually feel like your best friends in real life(assuming you can relate to them and therefore identify with them).

In the end though, Bioshock:Infinite is a well made game, but no way near the "best game ever made" as some people seem to claim. Those that do claim this however, have most likely never experienced a strong connection with in-game characters before (or at least not as strong as their connection with Booker and Elizabeth).
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    +1 System Shock 2
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    Man, I don't get all this love for Infinite.
    i didn't get into it either, the gameplay is too boring that I lost interests along the way, the story is a bit different to the rest but to me its more like a story written by a hipster who has recently discovered the world of quantum mechanism.

I dug Metro: Last Light, from story to gameplay, graphics is top botch (if not the best), and whats more, its done by such an underdog studio that I read an article somewhere states that the studio had to fire up a generator to fight with the poor power condition, the final game turned out so great that makes me play the single player a second time to go through all the details I missed the first time.

the new Tomb Raider is cool too, the story is wacky but I like the way the character developed (not perfect though), the gameplay and graphics are of first class, I'm glad to see this series hits the light.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    weee wrote: »
    i didn't get into it either, the gameplay is too boring that I lost interests along the way, the story is a bit different to the rest but to me its more like a story written by a hipster who has recently discovered the world of quantum mechanism.

Lol yeah, to me it came off as some half-baked sci-fi pulp novel.

I wouldn't care though if the game play was decent; but it was disappointing that you weren't really rewarded for coming up with well thought out tactics, you just kept facing wave after scripted wave, and you could basically beat the game with just your rifle. Playing through it on hard, the vigors weren't really necessary.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M5Tbos3M1g"]Burial at Sea: Episode Two -- Exclusive Preview Clip - YouTube[/ame]

Looks pretty interesting.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5

Holy shit there is a DLC now? Have to play it asap !

Loved the game even though someone spoiled me the end (argh).
    It's beautiful but i'm pretty disapointed about the gunfights though. In Bioshock 1 and 2 you could (and should sometimes) prepare a fight, especially before facing a Big Daddy, using traps and stuff... In Infinite, traps are pretty useless because the ennemies don't come to you anyway. It felt like a Call of Duty where there is no strategy anymore. You just have to run and shoot. Powers are great though. Especially the crows. That was cool.
    The "New Big Daddy" feels like a cheap version that was put there for Bioshock fans, but he lacks a lot of charisma.
    I really enjoyed Columbia though, even if in the end I think I prefered the creepy mood of Rapture but Columbia is god damn impressive !
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Suba wrote: »

It's beautiful but i'm pretty disapointed about the gunfights though. In Bioshock 1 and 2 you could (and should sometimes) prepare a fight, especially before facing a Big Daddy, using traps and stuff... In Infinite, traps are pretty useless because the ennemies don't come to you anyway. It felt like a Call of Duty where there is no strategy anymore. You just have to run and shoot. Powers are great though. Especially the crows. That was cool.
    The "New Big Daddy" feels like a cheap version that was put there for Bioshock fans, but he lacks a lot of charisma.
    I really enjoyed Columbia though, even if in the end I think I prefered the creepy mood of Rapture but Columbia is god damn impressive !

Yeah true that. Personally this doesn't bother me anymore though since most games I've played are like that. I just try to play games for the story now. I just tried to explore everything and promt Elizabeth to comment on something and when there was a fight I'd just try to get it over with quickly or sometimes even avoided them.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

There's multiple DLCs actually. The first was Clash in the Clouds, it was an arcade-styled mode where you basically fight waves of enemies. While it offered nothing story-wise, it was pretty damn fun in my opinion.

The second was Burial at Sea part 1 where you return to Rapture. Given your comments on the combat of Infinite, it sounds like you might enjoy this DLC a lot because they actually change a lot of the core combat mechanics to match Bioshock 1 a lot. They specifically bring back the combat that was available in the Bioshock 1 Alpha/Beta demo that got leaked out a few years back (I can't find it anymore, unfortunately). The main difference is that every item is hard to find compared to the final release of Bioshock 1. Ammo is very limited so you really have to use it wisely.

And finally I gave a link to the trailer for the next and final DLC for Infinite which is Burial at Sea part 2. I would suggest picking up the Season Pass as all of the DLCs are great so you might as well get all of them for a cheaper price.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I picked up the season pass in the steam sale, but I'm waiting for the second part of Burial at Sea before I pay it.

I'm going to skip Clash in the Clouds completely. I can do without more wonky combat sections.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought Clash in the Clouds was pretty fun actually. While the combat in the campaign wasn't too great, CitC generally has you fighting larger groups of enemies at one time which made the combat feel more enjoyable for me anyway. There is also a challenge to complete at the start of every round and some of them can get quite difficult so that's always nice too considering how the main game was too easy in terms of combat.

Plus, you can spend the money you get from completing waves unlocking concept art, development videos, and some voxophones.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    There's multiple DLCs actually. The first was Clash in the Clouds, it was an arcade-styled mode where you basically fight waves of enemies. While it offered nothing story-wise, it was pretty damn fun in my opinion.

The second was Burial at Sea part 1 where you return to Rapture. Given your comments on the combat of Infinite, it sounds like you might enjoy this DLC a lot because they actually change a lot of the core combat mechanics to match Bioshock 1 a lot. They specifically bring back the combat that was available in the Bioshock 1 Alpha/Beta demo that got leaked out a few years back (I can't find it anymore, unfortunately). The main difference is that every item is hard to find compared to the final release of Bioshock 1. Ammo is very limited so you really have to use it wisely.

And finally I gave a link to the trailer for the next and final DLC for Infinite which is Burial at Sea part 2. I would suggest picking up the Season Pass as all of the DLCs are great so you might as well get all of them for a cheaper price.
    Damn, I did not had the time to play it yet, but you make those DLC sound perfect to me !
    I'll do that. I'm really not fond of DLCs but I guess I will make an exception for Bioshock.
    I just hope they did re-used old maps from Bioshock 1 and 2 to make those DLC, cause nowadays I feel the minimum efforts you do to make a new DLC the better (I just played Metal Gear Rising DLC's and argh, it was really cheap, especially the first one).
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I did not had the time to play it yet, but you make those DLC sound perfect to me !
    I'll do that. I'm really not fond of DLCs but I guess I will make an exception for Bioshock.
    I just hope they did re-used old maps from Bioshock 1 and 2 to make those DLC, cause nowadays I feel the minimum efforts you do to make a new DLC the better (I just played Metal Gear Rising DLC's and argh, it was really cheap, especially the first one).
    In terms of art, they basically re-made everything from scratch which is great because everything actually looks much nicer than it did in Bioshock 1/2. The only real art that seems to be recycled are the weapons. They modeled some new guns like the Tommy Gun from Bioshock 1, but the pistol for example, is just a re-textured Infinite hand cannon.

If you haven't played any of them yet, I'd actually suggest waiting until March when the final DLC drops, that way you can enjoy both story DLCs together as one long story rather than two separate short stories.

I'm actually quite amazed at how much content they re-made for the DLC. It would have been so easy for them to just recycle assets from Bioshock 1 and even some assets from Infinite, but they even went as far recording new voices for little pieces of dialogue such as when Elizabeth tosses you a bottle of EVE.

I also love the fact that they modeled the gameplay after the older, more hardcore aspects of Bioshock 1 also. Personally, I was actually somewhat disappointed with the final release of B1 simply because the original gameplay demo they showed off made the game out to be a survival horror game whereas the final release was more of an action FPS.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burial at Sea Episode 2 just got released. The download is 9.1 GB and I just got to play for about an hour. It's pretty amazing, like Bioshock:Infinite at launch day amazing.

It took so long to get past the beginning part because I ended up just walking around and looking at the beautiful art. In terms of gameplay, they did a great job changing the pace by forcing the player to think about a situation rather than running into a room and gunning everybody down. Additionally, ammo is scarce just like in BaS Episode 1, and you can't take more than a few hits before dying. There are also many situations where it would be smarter to sneak past enemies rather than trying to kill everything, and it really does a great job at bringing the "horror" feel back into Bioshock as it will lead to situations where you think you are safe, but suddenly a splicer will be standing right behind you, or in my experience, a Big Daddy.

Anybody who worked on this DLC should feel incredibly proud of their work.
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im one of those that didnt like bioshock infinite either. I just couldnt get immersed into the setting enough. 1 thing that bugged me was i didnt get the logic of the vigor powers. They just seem to be randomly there without at least some explaination.

Borderlands 2 just felt too much like a chore to play.

Storywise, the games i enjoyed most was the mass effect series( which had surprisingly fun gameplay as well) remember me, tomb raider, and dead space
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not exactly relevant to Bioshock Infinite but you can grab a ton of awesome games published by 2K through the Humble Bundle right now! More games will be added soon as well, most likely Civ 5 or Borderlands.
  • Darth Tomi