Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prometheus Concept Fan Art

IronWall
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
IronWall polycounter lvl 12
Hey All,
I've been coming to this site for years and finally decided to start a thread. I am finally posting because I want a structure where I can be accountable to.

I want to complete this scene in 8 weeks, because that's when my baby is due.:thumbup:

my plan is to work of this concept from Ben Proctor that he did for Prometheus. The goal of this project is to develop a work flow at home so i can continue to update my portfolio. The others things i want to get out of this is to develop my high to low work flow, with keeping modular asset creation in mind, focusing on Ndo and Ddo for texturing, and bring it all into UDk. I'm going to try to post 2-3 times a week.
here are the concepts that I am going off of and first WIP.
I think next I am going to block out everything in UDK

Concept
WCk5unU.jpg
3798d5553ba5105037756e080bdf86ac.jpg
First WIP Shot this is definitely not a good screen shot from max, I'd love some advice on taking a better one.
89W7e5R.jpg

Replies

• dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    That is a very cool concept. Can't wait to see it finished. Good luck.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Can't wait to see this progress! Subscribed.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    as far as matching concept: the window on the right seems a little thin and inset shape on the right of the window is too high - not leaving room for the details above it.

subscribed :)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Great concept, can't wait to see how it turns out :)
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sam,

Some suggestions!

samcritique.jpg

1. Check some proportions here and there. A few things seem to be a bit off compared to the concept and reduce the chunkiness of the door.

2. Small window!

3. This bevel is VERY important because of the lighting. I would rework this piece a bit to match the concept so when the lighting phase comes there is a sweet corner for the light to dance around.

4. This light is going to help dictate alot of the forms of the door. So when creating edges and shapes, I would default to the mindset that this light needs edges to catch to be expressive.

As for screenshots.

Always use a 3 point light setup. Never render. Use the max viewport.

samcritique2.jpg

First make sure your viewport is set to max's nitrous mode.

1. Make sure realistic is checked.
    2. Choose realistic materials with maps.
    3. Scene lights, or default lights with 2 lights works.
    4. This is the tricky one, someone smart hid the best viewport shadow setting at the second from the bottom, logic. Choose it, it's amazing.
    5. These are my general settings, but vary depending on the scale of the scene. Pay attention to the radius. These settings do NOT update in realtime so you have to hit the apply to active view to get a preview.

At the very least use a 2 point light setup. Your key light should be at a 1 intensity and coming from the 'shoulder' of your camera. The second should be at about a .2 intensity, which varies, and should be on the backside and to the side of the model to illuminate the dark areas just slightly.

We can skype for a more in depth setup if you want, just let me know!

Get back to work!
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks Quack!

here is an update and some additional reference images. Thank you for the feedback, I will address the proportions, asap.
    R3gMymP.jpg
    rvcW4Re.jpg
    yvWBOzf.jpg
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a small update. I've been working out the proportions of the whole room
    YXSTJjZ.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    This really is an awesome concept :) Been saving to work with it for a couple weeks now, I think ur missing one tho from a different angle, same scene:

stair_concept_2.jpg

I think u should block everything (the whole scene) out first before ppl can give feedback on scale/proportions :) Good luck with the project I'll be following it as well~
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, Rhoutermans. I'll do that, probably tonight.
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have a lot to do.
    YTKKggG.jpg
    EOapFww.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    like the adition of that second shot a lot. I would bring down your fill light a bit though - it's getting a little washed out and harder to read plane changes
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been focusing on the on the details in the frame. all ready for a low poly, I'm excited to get on to start baking and texturing. I might be scoping back to just doing the door and frame. Depends on how the next few weeks go.
    Uv5xxTv.jpg
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow going. Learning Unreal Engine 4, I would love any feedback on the shader network. I am trying to layer reference material functions in my material mith masks. I am sure I could improve it, any thoughts? all the materials and masks are placeholder, I think it will help a lot once i get better masks.
    jm01DT6.jpg
    ERKbpQg.jpg
    FhZyvo6.jpg
    Xz09EvR.jpg
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still moving along, we had the baby and that has cut into the time i can work on this. still planning on finishing it. and definitaly getting closer learning pbr and the ue4 pipeline is fun. I've done a lot of work and rework learning new things. not a lot show because of that.
    CUmGdr0.jpg
    6e8Bg27.jpg
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jpmUTxy.jpg
    still working away at it. still a lot to do,finish the materials, unwrap a bunch of stuff, and still have a lot of lightmaps to do. That is some of the weirdness you can see. Here is the deck above,
    5TJVo8N.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay updates!

Nice to see some movement on this. One thing I would like to see a bit more after you have the main bits fleshed out, is more of a 'lived in' feel. Trinkets, carts, waste bins, etc. Anything that might give it more function than just 'being a halway'.

Cool to see you using layered materials.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man, nice to see some progress!

I think it'd be good to step back from the whole environment and just focus on the door and nailing it. I have some critiques here, but y'know just overall I think if you focused on getting all the details honed in on one section it would be good.

pIULF8x.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Those brown bits look like vinyl padding, which we used all the time on Alien Isolation. It makes a nice change from all the metal everywhere!
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Dammit liam, stop sharing our trade secrets :p
  • IronWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback.

Quack!: thanks, I hope to get to the level of detail one of these days. It seems so far off. I have been getting a lot of inspiration from what Alien: Isolation has been doing in their corridors.

Cman2k: thanks for the feed back, I have gone back and forth working one one with another, just too keep me interested and going. I have thought a lot about just doing the door and the frame. maybe I should just just do that. I was hoping to do a full environment.

PogoP: thanks for the suggestions, "those brown bits" I should be vinyl, but aren't reading that way. I am still learning the PBR workflow.

marks: could you possible share any trade secrets? as you can see in the screenshot below, I am having some trouble with the vinyl. I just added a sphere reflection capture actor in front of the door and it is ruining the padding. I assume my vinyl is not set up correctly and I am going to rework them. any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

ZGhaMCz.jpg?1