Home Technical Talk

Photoshop Tiled Painting.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
Basic photoshop tiled painting request similar to corel paints seamless paint mode. GO HERE AND YELL IT OUT LOUD

I feel like this page needs alot more people to go on there and like it.. or comment or w/e. Maybe with the power of text through the interwebs we can finally see a long awaited feature hit photoshop. It probably is just a dream though.
:shifty:

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You can use filter->offset...Which works fine in my opinion.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The problem is that despite numerous attempts at explaining the idea to actual Photoshop devs, they still think that their current implementation of such features (using either offset as mentionned by Obscura, or the more recent tiled painting from layer) are great. It's really mind-blowing how sometimes they just don't get it. I personally think it's a bit of a lost cause.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I still cant believe PS doesnt have symmetry to be honest. They even developed a 3d printing feature for photoshop, but seem to ignore certain workflows that can really boost the texture artist out there.

That said, for tiled painting, the best app for the job is Krita. It has a tiled texture mode specifically designed for the artist who is hand painting tiled textures. As an application, its very similar to photoshop so picking it up shouldnt be that hard. You also get symmetry and a brush engine that surpasses Photoshop's in my opinion. Such a godly painting app comes with a godly price though... it cost absolutely nothing. Its open source. So there's no excuse not to give it a spin, compliments photoshop perfectly. =)

http://krita.org/item/210-krita-2-8-beta-2-released
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop still doesn't have a perspective grid generator. Still. In 2014. They even HAVE tools that use perspective planes in interactive ways but it hasn't occurred to anyone to generate a grid for artists to paint under yet.
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    You can do this using the 3D painting tools in Photoshop CC right now. Just make a 3x3 tiled plane in whatever 3D package you use, import it into PS and get going. Updates in realtime with no need for scripts and does everything Photoshop normally does. It still has minor difficulties painting across seams but it's easy to tidy those up on the flat - otherwise, there you have it.

I'm hoping they improve the interface for 3D painting in PS but it's becoming my favourite way to do hand-painted textures.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    You can make a perspective grid in photoshop. Use the Vanishing Point filter and then use the use the Render Grids to Photoshop option. You can even have it place 3d version of your grid into the scene. It's not perfect but it does work.
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right.. partly I just wanted to vent. I know about offset and new tiled painting from layer. But.. both of those still end up making me sad when I see other programs that save lots of time by doing it right. Rrrgski
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't even notice the original post at the top was posted 2 years ago.. Ima get back to reality now.