Home Unity

sail in the wind

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx ngon master
Is there a possibility for me to Import a complete mesh of a sail to unity and make the sail "Move" or do i have to seperate the Sail from the ship and animate it in unity?

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    It would be better to have it as seperate geometry but it can be exported inside of the same fbx file.
    Try it with the "attached collider" component. You would just need to have some sail vertices to stick in the ships mesh, so they move with the ship while the sail gets moved by cloth parameters...
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Thanks for the answer.

What i did was, Animate the Sail using nCloth and nConstrains. Then i Edit > Bake simulation. To get a keyframe.

I exported the modell and then imported to Unity,
    Changed the Inspector to legacy. And i can see that i have 200 frames in my scene. But when clicking on the play button to review my Sail. Nothing =(
  • mookster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mookster polycounter lvl 18
    When you baked the simulation you baked the animation to the vertices. Which is fine except unity doesn't support vertex animation.

Best bet would be a vertex deforming shader or possibly using unity's cloth system. Depending on the complexity of what you are looking for a simple rig and skin could give a cheap wind effect.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I think the newest version of Unity supports blend shapes. I have not had a chance to try it, but saw it in the docs and in the Editor.