Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shellfish Pistol

Nosslak
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
Hey, all! I've just started on a new project and I'm interested to hear you input on it. It's the Shellfish Pistol based on an awesome concept by Fightpunch (used with permission).

Here's what it looks like right now:
Shellfish_Pistol_HP_5.png

And the sculpt:
Shellfish_Pistol_Z_1.png

Alright, self-critique:
- I'll have to redo the spiral shell at the back as it looks a bit off (need to pack the spirals tighter together and make them rounder, also not happy with the opening).
- I was unsure about what the the grey parts (under the shells, above the trigger on the concept) were supposed to be so I tried making it as small clams but that looks like crap. If anyone knows what that's called I'd really appreciate if you'd let me know.
- I've got a few holes that need to be filled up (cleverly hidden by the placement of the camera).
- I've got a lot of sculpting ahead of me (I only consider the tentacles to be close to finished).

I think it's a pretty solid start, if I do say so myself. I haven't sculpted too much in the past (mostly just shitty rocks) so this will be quite a challenge, but that's what I like and what I need to improve my skills.

I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Nosslak wrote: »
    - I was unsure about what the the grey parts (under the shells, above the trigger on the concept) were supposed to be so

https://www.google.be/search?q=zeepokken&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fmfWUp6rLqWP5ASE4ICIDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=642

Looks like a good start, altough, to me it looks like at the back there are 2 tentacles, one larger one, and a second one that comes out under it and curls up in a spiral.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    That's exactly what I needed, thanks a lot, dude!
    Looks like a good start, altough, to me it looks like at the back there are 2 tentacles, one larger one, and a second one that comes out under it and curls up in a spiral.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm not sure that's a tentacle though, judging by it's shape and color I think it looks more like it could be another shell.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm not sure that's a tentacle though, judging by it's shape and color I think it looks more like it could be another shell.
    I took a look at the concept again and it seems I misunderstood what part you meant (I thought you meant the part inside the spiral tentacle). You are right though, in the concept there are two tentacles at the grip. I missed this but I'll try making an additional one.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!
    Shellfish_Pistol_Z_2.png
    Changes:
    - Sculpted the shells
    - Sculpted the triggerguard
    - Sculpted the barrel, but I'll probably need to redo it as the spiral is a bit janky
    - Fixed the tentacle problem that Joeriv mentioned

I'm not entirely happy with the bottom shell. I've tried a few designs but I'm not sure they look all that much like a seashell. Here's another attempt at the shell, that I rejected as it wasn't nearly rough enough to match the concept (though it looked more like a shell):
    Shellfish_Pistol_Z_2_shell_v1.png
    I think I might have to redo the shell more similar to a rougher version of this.

I also started work on the barnacles, but haven't placed any of them yet.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Davy Jones called, he wants his gun back ! ^^

Seashells are a bit hard to do, they some kind of very precise structure, but still they are somekind "natural". Good luck with this project, could be awesome.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a new update:
    Shellfish_Pistol_LP_3.png
    Critique!
    - I'll probably remake/redesign the top shell as it looks stressed and the design doesn't really match the rest of the shells/gun.
    - I think I'll have to add some more barnacles as they break up the design nicely and there are more of them on the concept art.
    - I need to add a lot more subtle color variation, but this is something I always struggle with so any tips regarding this would be very much appreciated. I especially need to add some color variation to the brown pistol base as it's supposed to look reminiscent of a starfish (can you tell?), but I've barely started painting this part so that's coming.

The model's currently clocking in at 15k triangles with a 2048*2048 set of textures.

I only consider the tentacles to be close to finished, as for the rest I feel that it could be improved a lot more, but pointers would be appreciated for sure.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for another update:
    Shellfish_Pistol_LP_6.png
    Changes:
    - I optimized the model down from 15k to about 12,5k
    - Added dripping water from the tentacles
    - Remade the top shell
    - Improved the color variation on the shells
    - Made the pattern on the brown bulbuos part more apparent
    - Added a painted spiral on the shells
    - Other smaller stuff

I'm pretty much happy with how it looks, so if no one has any critique I think I'll call it done.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update:
    Shellfish_Pistol_LP_7.png

Changes:
    - Added some algae to add some much needed hue variation
    - Added some more dirt

Some critique would be great as I'm not sure what more I can do to push this further along.