Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Penitent Pint Diorama [Hand Painted Piece]

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
anglorum polycounter lvl 6
Hey P-counters! Thanks for coming by my thread!

Here's some art!

RUsrO92.jpg

This concept is a quick doodle I did up as a design for a little diorama project I want to do while I wait to start a collab project later in the month.

It should go by pretty quickly, but will be a fun way to experiment with mood and story telling in a small area, as well as flex my hand painted muscles for a bit!

Here's the first lowpoly, which is arguably the centerpiece of the whole thing, but I started and just couldn't stop! So I'm happy to share :D

[SKETCHFAB]873117161042417b93737a9dd3cd0483[/SKETCHFAB]

This is a WIP thread, so I'll be posting my progress as I go. Feel free to C'n'C! It's more than welcome here!

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tap is in the wrong spot. As it stands, you'll only get ~10% of the liquid... You need to rotate the keg 90 degrees, then put the tap on a flat side near the bottom.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, I'm looking forward to more Sketchfab models!

Your bust seems a tad monotone. I do see some faint yellow-orange in there when I spin the model around so I'm not sure if that's Sketchfab's lighting or a spec map or what.
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lil update! Changed some stuff around composition-wise. Trying to work through the massive amount of stone that needs to be painted for this piece. Through some incredible twist of cruelty I managed to convince myself that it would look nice to do the entire thing without symmetry on the dias base (some thought pattern along the lines of making the whole thing look unique all over)... six hours of painting later, I'm really not happy with that decision, even if the final product is something I'm fairly proud of.

LW2nQPP.jpg

Lots more progress coming soon, hopefully. Would love to wrap this one up before the 24th or sooner.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far. The stone doesn't really have any color variation though so it right now it does look a bit bland.

I assume the barrels won't actually be for consuming but rather for display or storage? If not, the spouts don't really make sense pointed upward like that.
  • Merlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merlynn polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with Bartalon, the stone could use some color variation and maybe some extras like moss?
    Besides that it's great. I really love the bust. It turned out great!
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the pointers guys! I definitely needed to head back over towards the stone and insert some variation in the hues and values. I did a bit of that, so hopefully that breaks up the shapes some. I also managed to add in some mossy bits here and there. I feel like maybe they're a bit strong... I dunno. Moss is dumb.

ALSO barrels. What hand painted diorama would be complete with out some good old fashioned big ass wooden, iron banded, barrels. :D So yeah, those are a thing in there now.

xhE9jGg.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This is coming together really well.

Something that might be worth consideration once you come to add the shelving in the background and some smaller details are Bellarmines
    l_1bellmines.JPG
    They're very old ceramic alcohol jugs originally from Germany. Each one features a stylised face of Cardinal Bellarmine - an unpopular fellow with the regular German folks and staunchly anti-alcohol. They added the face so that whenever they took a drink, Bellarmine had to watch them.

It might be interesting to design your own version with a stylised version of your grumpy priest guy. Even if people don't get the reference, they're quite nice things in and of themselves and should make for a good extra detail.
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks Jackablade! That's an awesome suggestion, I was gonna just do boring old steins, but I'm definitely going to look into your idea further.
  • MessySketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking gravy man, can't wait to see more progress.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if there's anyone in WoW who would be "worthy" of being on one of those bottles haha