Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Design Practice

sulzbunny
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
sulzbunny polycounter lvl 6
AlienFinal_NET.jpg

Hi everybody. This is my first official post here on Polycount since I haven't been active in years. My name is Chris Sulzbach and I'm a Lead Character Artist at Firaxis Games and my last two projects were XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within. I've been a Polycount reader for years but rarely posted and if I did it was under my old username of sulz.

This year I wanted to start putting myself and my work out there more as kind of a new year's resolution type thing, so here we go!

This is my first character design that I'm posting in what will hopefully become a series of portraits of these alien races. I am going to strive to do 1 every two months or so in my free time. I hope I can stick with it!

I hope you like this little guy. He started as a weekend long bust that I extended out to be this creature. I streamed most of the creation on my twitch channel but I also recorded it all to save out as a timelapse to post too. I hope you all enjoy this piece and I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks to Dave Black, Aaron Yamada Hanff, Andrew Kincaid, and Matt Demaray for their feedback during the process! Also thanks to those who watched on the stream and offered feedback too!

Replies

• Judgernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most excellent!

Quality = Top Score!
  • John Ehresmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Ehresmann polycounter lvl 4
    Talk about making a good first impression, loving it.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Looks really great. The thing that strikes me most is the eyes. Are they two pieces of geo? I am imagining you made a half sphere for the iris and a full sphere with transparency for the rest.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Very cool stuff!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Got to agree I'm loving those eyes. Probably has to do with the nice contrast between their rather tight edges and the rest of the organic textured body work.

And might I say what a blasts its been blasting your artwork in X-Com :D
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of a nitpick, but why would a reptilian alien have mammary glands, especially those placed in the same spot as a primate?

The dark brown areas on the skin seem more like paint rather than a natural skin pattern; that would certainly go well with the feathers.

Personally, I'd like to see aliens that are possible, but challenge conventional designs. Just because all vertebrates on this planet since amphibians have had 4 limbs is no reason for those from other planets to have the same. Radial - as opposed to bilateral - symmetry might just work for those from Betelgeuse. Life on this planet is weird; just imagine how much weirder things get when you have an entire galaxy providing examples.
    humble_sea_lily_01.gif
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    digging this sulz!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Awwww that's nice, hope you'll be able to keep posting.

DWalker : I guess that we mostly see bipeds characters in game because of the skeletons/rigging/animations. And as humans we prefer to see creatures like us, beeing a biped is some proof of evolution and intelligence. Every other life form would appear like "animals". Look at the Elcors from Mass Effect for example, they are quadrupeds, but they can talk and travel into space, but still, they look like animals to us. They have four legs because of the high gravity of their planet, but if they evolved in a lower gravity world, they would be bipeds too.

Now I agree with you, we don't HAVE to stick to what we know to create something unknown, it's just that it's easier for the public to acknowledge it.
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Judgernaut - Thanks!

John Ehresmann - Thank you!

Dimfist - Thanks a lot! I would normally use that technique for renders, but in this case the eyes were a simple sphere that I just painted the iris, reflections, and highlights on in photoshop.

HP - Thanks!

Deathstick - I'm glad you like the design and I'm even happier to hear you like XCOM!

DWalker - great point about the mammaries and one I will take into the next creature I'm going to design. I wanted to give the character saggy man-boobs strictly for the humor. One of the goals for this series is to keep it light-hearted and not take any part of it too seriously. That .gif you've embedded is terrifying and shit like that scares me to death. I am a big wimp when it comes to crazy walking feather sticks.

SA_22 - thanks a bunch!

Texelion - I totally agree with your response to DWalker and you've hit the nail right on the head with the relate-ability of human anatomy in creature design. I wanted to start with a creature that has recognizable anatomy in it strictly because this is my first one. It is definitely in the cards for me to branch away from strictly human forms down the road once I get some designs under my belt.

Thank you all so much for checking this character out and commenting and giving feedback. Just so you guys know, I am currently working on a time-lapse of the streams that I started about mid way through the creation of this character that will be just sculpting only. I will do some narrating down the line on future projects, but I want to get the whole process set up and down to a science before I go any further with it. I will post some process shots along with the time lapse when it's done.

I do plan on starting a new character on my twitch channel later this week. If you guys follow that site, feel free to add me at: http://www.twitch.tv/sulzbunny
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav - ;O aagh!! my eye!!
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, no timelapse for this one, folks. I am having the worst time rendering 8hrs of footage at 500% so fuck it!

Here are a few quick process images that I can show instead.

This is a BPR Render with a simple clay shader applied in ZBrush.
    Alien_Clay.jpg

This is slide shows basically what I started with and where I'd ended up after compositing and painting in Photoshop.
    AlienRendToFinal.jpg

And these are all the passes I used in one way or another.
    AlienRenderPasses.jpg

Hope this is informative enough. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions about it.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I wonder how are all those passes used in compositing. Do you know a good tuto or something ?
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion - Most of these were used as multiply layers or masks for specific colors. For example, the shadow and cavity passes were used as multiply layers together to create the final shadow look. I used the two sheen maps with different masks that I painted in order to get the skin oiliness effect I wanted. For the eyes, I used techniques I learned from Neville Page's Gnomon DVD "Rendering Eyes." This is a really great video to watch that helps breakdown and recreate what makes an eye compelling in which you'll take those techniques and apply them to whatever medium you use. So, in short, I didn't use any kind of tutorial, just mainly trial and error.
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a new design WIP that I started tonight. Any and all feedback is welcomed! Thanks for looking!
    WIP_001.jpg
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things got a little weird when I put the shirt on. I will probably take it off tomorrow and put some more thought into the costume design. Any crits are welcome. Thanks for looking!
    WIP_002.jpg
  • AgesOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgesOne polycounter lvl 8
    Really amazing work, loving the depth of field in the first photo.
  • avagoyamug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avagoyamug polycounter lvl 9
    Impressed! Pretty strong design!
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks and thanks!
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more WIP action. Head refinement and color scheme test. Thanks for looking!
    WIP_003.jpg
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more work on this.

WIP_004.jpg
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update for tonight. rethinking the double thumbs... any and all C&C is most welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!
    WIP_005.jpg
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did some heavy reworking on this character. any thoughts are more than welcome. thanks for looking!

WIP_006.jpg
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a lot more rework but I'm starting to like where this is going. Hope you do too! thanks for looking!

WIP_007.jpg
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a new sketch of an alien diplomat. WIP done in zbrush. Please excuse the crappy photobash cloak, I plan on replacing it with something better later on. thanks for checking it out!

chris-sulzbach-alien-2-wip.jpg?1420871716
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Hah! I really love the design of this one.
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    The first alien and your alien diplomat are so awesome!
    Can't wait to see more :D