Home General Discussion

Curious, Application Assistance.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
My main concern:
Is there a program out there that shows you what a program has installed in your machine (or shows you as It installs it?) even if It is a hidden ("sys") file. In an easy to read format, such as a folder structure would be great. If not someone get on that stat, multi million dollar idea right there, i want royalties. ;)

Situation:
I am curious as i have been having some weird issues happening with my windows, my login screen when going into screen saver mode and having to put my password in sometimes requires me to do this twice.

Then most recently, (last month) my screen turns white when logging in... like black and white sort of like windows classic view. Has this happen to anyone else lately?

Win7X64 premium btw, factory OEM, so not really windows i guess..

Also to extend my situation i found it odd that my ISP asked me to control my Pc to help sort out a connectivity issue i had 2 months prior to all this and i disliked the idea though i gave in and gave the guy about 2-4 minutes before i disconnected him.
I forget the name of the program he directed me to but it allowed him to control my pc so he could "fix" the problem... Earthlink isp btw..

I've skipped some well needed reformatting a few times and now at least i have problems and a reason to do It.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you use for antivirus? It does sound like you need to reformat.

Some of these tools might help you out. Could be your hard drive is starting to fail.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-disk-health-monitoring-utility.htm

Some good tips here, but you need to do these when you have just finished a fresh install. It's too late to do if you're having trouble.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/five-things-every-windows-pc-owner-must-do.htm
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I wouldn't be alarmed that your ISP support guy asked for remote access. Most of the time when they do it it's some simple program or a free thing like join.me that isn't going to harm anything, and they do it because most people that call in are morons and it can save them a lot of time. If they had you download something, I'm certain they're using it as well, and I doubt they have the issues you're having on their work PC.

That being said, I agree with Eric it sounds like you need to reformat. It sounds like some key OS files are messed up - it's when Windows logs on that it does things like load your color profile, drivers, etc. Based on what you're experiencing my first guess is system files, and a reformat is the easiest way to fix those sorts of issues. I suppose if there are issues with your drive, you could be seeing some of the same problems, but a reformat is a nice opportunity to clean things up anyway if the drive checks out.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys and yes i am not a moron lol but i think it would save them time too, it is just another human being and i just don't like that situation.
    I told him before anything i was tech savvy, guess my word wasn't enough.
    Plus i was learning about blocking connections to the pc :) so i probably made a boo-boo.

My situation:
    However this is a situation i never ran into and i felt before this happen my 6 months to a 1 year of use-age alarm goes off and i always think i need to reformat.

Especially after trying out applications that might help me with other hobbies.

Thanks gents (for the links also) I figured i needed a reformat, simple answer.
    I wanted to know about that program above i guess there is almost no need for one of those but i'd still like to know whats going into this machine, guess i won't until i find a program like that, i don't enjoy the log much takes a lot of time..

Anywho, time to reformat before working on stuff.

I guess take this as a reminder if anyone hasn't you might want to or this could happen to you. dun, dun, dun... :poly124:

Eric:
    I got Eset, Malwarebytes, CCcleaner, some blocker/monitor stuff, a lot of nerdy things to help with all the net mambo jumbos, and some Dos language to check the bg if all else fails.
    :poly142: