Home Technical Talk

Comparison Shots Smoothing

UDK refuses to give me proper smoothing.

I am importing explicit normals, so it should look exactly like in Maya and or Marmoset, which I brought in to check my smoothing. It looks fine in either of them, but not in UDK.

I tried triangulating before baking my normal maps, I tried inverting the green channel back and forth. Nothing seems to impress UDK at all or make a change to the wrong smoothing. I can see triangles ONLY in UDK, it's smooth in all other applications.

- what am I doing wrong?

Here are the comparison shots. Same exact color maps. The UDK material is just diff/norm/spec, with a constant to control the specularity highlight.

The ones with the sky background are from UDK.

>>EDIT: I'm just reading through the "handplane" thread. I had the free version before, but didn't know how to use it (I still imported to UDK with "explicit normals" and "remove degenerates" ticked on. I also have to check about locking my normals, I guess before triangulating. That EarthQuake guy is a plethora of knowledge when it comes to baking. I can recommend reading the "Handplane" thread if you get errors of my kind.<<