Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LF Feedback & Tipps how to Improve Details on my Spaceship concept

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,
Normally if I get stuck a a projrct I doodling around in 3DMax, just creating forms, parts etc.
Over my last projects (all low poly) I sketched a spaceship which I finally fall to and no I want to bring this "sketch" up to a full fledged high poly model.

My problem is... how?

Here are two renders (wireframe and plane material) of the ship. The dimensions of this ship are aprox. 51x37x12 Meter (the small vessel in front is a one seat figther).

frighter_base_by_dethling-d70nmjz.jpgfrighter_base_wf_by_dethling-d70nmny.jpg

Does anyone knows a few tricks how to increase the level of details? What I should look for? Good pages for reference etc.
I would be also very happy about any sort of feedback.

The Story of this ship:
It's a civilian transporter which was used also as small troup transporter and recon vehicle in the great war. The technology level of the setting is something like Firefly, so human are able to travel to space but no fancy thinks like transporters, shields or bioneural interfaces. Tech level should be very basic and some sort of "mechanical" and "dirty".

Replies

• GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Well, as far as adding actual geometry details, you are going to have to use your creativity and start adding things. Look at references of space ships that fit this style, and really study what kind of shapes/details they have on it and then mimic them in your model. Things like little screws and bolts, metal panels, wires hanging out, more window panes, and so on are all things that would look good as extra detail on this model.

As far as making it actually high poly and essentially a very smooth model, this is where the modifier "Turbosmooth" is going to come in handy. Add supporting edges to your model and then add the Turbosmooth modifier and it will smooth all your geometry and give it that high poly look.

I would save out a version of the low poly spaceship before starting your high poly, just so that if you want to go back and actual bake out the details, you have a low poly for it.

Great start and im looking forward to some updates