Home General Discussion

What to learn ? (Advices please)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
Hello, i have 6 months to learn stuff (January to June), as now i have several apps/games on googlePlay and AppStore made using mainly unity...

the question is, what else to learn ?
this is my skills list:

Unity : Excellent
Mechatronics : Excellent
Math : Very good !
Blender : Good
Python : Good
C# : Good enough
English language : Good enough
Xcode : Good enough, no advanced things are needed
ZBrush : i used to make some nice stuff with it 4 years a go, but forgot it now as i never needed it.

HTML5 : i don't know anything about it yet
Android/Java : i don't know anything about it yet
PHP : i don't know anything about it yet
Painting : i don't even know if i can learn digital painting with photoshop or not, but i would like to !
Corona/LUA : is this worth learning ?

please give me advices ! what to learn ?

please let me add these as options

illustrator
matlab

Replies

• Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Do you want to learn something related to art or programming?

For art: I noticed you don't have Max or Maya listed, picking up one of those would be a good idea especially if they're still offering student licenses. You don't need to have Photoshop to learn digital painting. A lot of people use it, sure, but GIMP is a great tool as well.

Here's a great site to get started with...
    http://ctrlpaint.com/

For programming: This depends on if you want to focus on front or back end programming. If you want to focus on front end, HTML, CSS, and Javascript are great places to start and all three are definitely learnable in six months. Unityscript is basically a modified version of Javascript from what I understand. PHP is a "server side" language. It's often used for managing databases which could be a leaderboard for a game or the content management system for a site. PHP is useful, but you'll get more out of it if you know HTML and CSS.

edit: HTML5 is mostly a buzzword still. It can do some neat things, but is not an official standard (yet) so cross browser compatibility is still a mess. Stick with something like XHTML for now as it's much less error prone. Most fancy new web interactivity is done in CSS3 and/or JQuery (a Javascript library) anyway, which work with current versions of HTML.

Java is a back end language. Java developers are in really high demand right now and usually do high level projects, like eCommerce security etc. but you have to be really committed. There's also the android market but if you already know Unity, I'd stick with that since you can publish to more platforms whereas Android is the only one that uses Java.

I don't know enough about LUA to give any advice on it.

This is probably my favorite site for learning a new language...
    http://www.codecademy.com/

Hope that helps!
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very good, can i freelance some stuff online easily if i learn html/css/php ?
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on XCODE/OBJECTIVE-C now, reading a 1000 pages Book.

:)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's one thing to learn to use tools or maths, but another to learn less obvious skills.

Have you considered studying design?