Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making an Octopus Bracelet - 3D Print

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Axios polycounter lvl 10
It's not game art specifically, but it's relevant and I thought this would be of interest to some people here.

As a Christmas present, I wanted to make a bracelet to 3d print based on one I saw in a shop. I chose to this through Shapeways.com and their ever-expanding metal printing options. The original was silver, but with price and shine being what they are, I thought steel would do nicely. Also, this entire project doubled as an exercise for me to improve with zBrush.

I wanted to keep the general design as it, but there were some design changes, to come later. So here is the reference I gathered both online and in person:
octopus_ref_1.jpg

And a sloppy blockout in Maya. Just trying to place the tentacles and be super sure that there are actually eight of them.

octopus_01.jpg

Once it resembled something I was trying to make, I dropped it into zBrush, hit Dynamesh, and smoothed it out.

octopus_04.jpg

Initial sculpting, still mostly concerned with proportion and volume.

octopus_05.jpg

After getting comfortable with my shapes and remeshing it, I started in with tests for the suckers. Here's where I got after a couple attemps. I did this with an alpha and just drag-placing them around. Camera work proved to be the hardest part with the tentacles.

octopus_06.jpg

Got tired of that boring matcap and wanted to see curvature better, as a lot of time was put into simply smoothing it right.

octopus_07.jpg

Finished adding the suckers and did a touch of head sculpting. I ended up exaggerating the proportions of the eyes because, well, I liked them. It was also at this point that I hollowed the model and sent it off to be printed in plastic as test for size and fit. More on that in a bit, as I continued the sculpt while waiting.

octopus_08.jpg

And here is where things started getting tedious. I wanted to cover a lot of the surface with the organic dotted pattern seen in the original. I tried a few different approaches to this, using an alpha, brush settings, procedural noise, etc, but nothing really seemed to beat the look I was getting by doing it manually. I decided to suck it up and do the whole surface manually because I felt it would yield the best results. I would take a section and mask a bunch of dots at varying scales and then sculpt down and smooth the areas in between. Here I was not concerned with the dots matching the placement of the original.

octopus_09a.jpg

octopus_10.jpg

octopus_11.jpg

octopus_12.jpg

octopus_13.jpg

octopus_15.jpg

Hooray! I finally finished covering (mostly) all of it with stupid little dots and the sculpt was coming together. I would eventually do a pass to emphasize and smooth out areas of dots to give it a bit more of a handmade look. But not long after this point, my plastic test print arrived!

octopus_17.jpg

Despite the fact that I was rather pleased with how it looked, this proved to be far too small to slip over my own or nearly anyone else's hands. I checked and rechecked my proportions from my reference and scale from other bracelet models on Shapeways. My conclusion was that it need to be considerably larger though I could make the hole a bit more squat. I didn't think I had the time nor did I want to drop the cash to do a second test print so I wanted to approach this as carefully as possible so the final result would be as it should.

So I ended up doing some measuring and cutting to make some cardboard guides to see exactly what it'd take to get this bracelet to slip over my, or a slightly smaller, hand. Also there's a sheet of math that was involved in some way or another.

octopus_18.jpg

My conclusion was that the bracelet would need to be scaled up so much that it would fit too loosely about the wrist. Steel is a bit heavier so having this fit very loosely would probably be a nuisance. Also, scaling it up raises the price tag pretty quickly so that was less than ideal. I did handle the original in person and I feel that it was fairly close in size to my original and there was no hinge to be seen so I can only gather that it was meant specifically for anyone with exceedingly small hands.

So! I needed a more dramatic solution to this issue. After some debate, I decided that my best option would be breaking from the original design and changing it to a cuff bracelet that could be put directly on the wrist without having to go over the hand at all. After a repeated process of trimming and smoothing the ends of the test print, I ended up with this. And whaddya know, it fits on my wrist!

octopus_19.jpg

Replies

• Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Of course, I wouldn't just be shearing off the ends in the sculpt, so I spent some time shifting some tentacles around to my new measurements and then some final sculpting. And here is the finished sculpt:

octopus_16.jpg

Next, I'd focus on hollowing the model by using a dynamesh shell and then decimating it to meet the Shapeways upload limit. The site requires meshes be under 1 million tris and, with the surface being what it is, I felt like this was the most limiting factor in detail, rather than sculpt detail or print quality. Though after much tinkering in zBrush, I got it decimated to 1 million without a noticeable drop in quality. Next, I uploaded to the site and that took many attempts as the upload would seemingly timeout regardless of my computer or connection (tried a few different places). Nevertheless, it eventually worked, I ordered the final print and waited.

Just about a month later, this is what I got:

octopus_final_01.jpg

octopus_final_02.jpg

octopus_final_03.jpg

octopus_final_04.jpg

And it fits!

octopus_20.jpg

It's a bit looser than I'd like it to be, but I don't think it's in any real danger of falling off. It's also on the heavy side, being steel, but not quite as heavy as I was anticipating and after wearing it for a bit, it isn't noticeable.

I know it seems quick with all the images here but this project was weeks worth of works spread over a few months and was more difficult than I had anticipated. Much of the difficulty was in improving my zBrush skills enough to meet the task and I feel like I have accomplished that and I'm fairly proud of the final result. 3D printing is awesome.
  • monkeymintaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
    What an awesome idea for a present! And a really nice sculpt too :) I really loved seeing your process. A couple of my uni friends did 3D printing for their end of year project and it looks like a lot of fun. Are you going to do anything like it again?
  • supremedalek925
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
    That is really cool! It's so neat to see someone's art as a physical object too.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Cthulhu approves this post ^^.

I'm currently dealing with Shapeways too, I find this 1 Millions polygons limit ridiculous, I never heard of this before. I feel like they do this to make the customer pay more by separating the models into pieces.

Could you tell me how you did the hollowing ? Does it change the already sculpted parts ?
  • Azure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok this is bad ass!
    But, how did you manage to make the initial measurements? Thats one thing thats still throwing me.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    monkeymintaka: Thanks! I'll probably do some more like it as I think printing can be a little addictive, but before I really started this bracelet, I printed out a dagger as test to see the detail I could achieve.
    Raw steel print:
    dagger_before.jpg
    After manual smoothing and polish:
    dagger_after.jpg
    The finishing options on Shapeways have improved so much that I didn't have to do any manual work on the final bracelet.

supremedalek925: Thanks, it's a weird but awesome feeling

Texelion: Yeah, apparently the limit used to be 500k and they raised it; hopefully they'll do that again. The 1 mil limit really just meant I had to do some crafty decimation, but I could see it being an issue with like a full character sculpt. To hollow it out I used Dynamesh's Shell function seen [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N4pIR4eNCc"]here[/ame]

Azure: Thanks, I used a pre-existing bracelet model as a base and then measured my own wrist and then estimated the wrist measurements of my girlfriend, as it's for her. Generally I felt like I was winging it but it took a lot of effort to get accurate. And it fits!
  • DavidBrumbley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidBrumbley polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice post. You should 3d print some Phantasy Star stuff ;p
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I'm definitely looking at printing more stuff. It does get addictive, especially when it's metal.